Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's the scariest thing that has happened to you involving a child

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 323 Replies
3 moms liked this
Doesn't have to be your child just a child you know or one you witnessed something happening to.

Mine was when we were all fishing at DF'S dad's house. It was me, DF our son(2), his cousin, her husband and their kids dd (6) and son (2.5). DF and her DH went out in the boat and we stayed on the dock with the kids. The men were annoyed with us for freaking out everytime the kids got close to the water.

Anyway we were catching fish like crazy, the cousin freaking out anytime one fell off so I had to grab them.It started getting dark so we decided we were gonna pack up and head back to the house. As soon as we said that she got a bite so she reeled it in and was taking forever to grab it (she's a chicken lol) and of course it come off the hook. Well she started screaming at me "Get it, get it get it" So I stood up to get it and all of a sudden "Get it" turn into "OMG GET HIM GET HIM PLEASE GET HIM"

I turned just in time to see her 2.5 year old's head going under water. Apparently he was scared of the fish and went backwards off the dock. I was in shock for a second and in about 5 secs everything rushed through my head. I knew I couldn't just jump in for fear I would freak when I didn't touch the bottom. So I jumped down onto my stomach and pushed myself as far as I could and the only thing I could grab was his hair. I grabbed that and pulled him back far enough to grab his arms and pulled his head above water. I had to yell for her to pull him out bcuz I couldn't lift him (I'm pregnant and he's quite large...55lbs to be exact)

She pulled him out and we all just sat there shaking in shock...then she started freaking out bcuz I had basically thrown myself down on my stomach but honestly I had to do what I had to do.

That was honestly the single scariest moment of my life, seeing his head go under....her frozen in fear/shock....
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom had a similar incident with my little brother once at a big family get-together. A few people were standing on the dock, and my little brother who must've only been two or three at the time was leaning over to look at the water and fell in. My mom didn't react well- she bent down to start taking off her shoes, heh. My dad's friend dove in, fully dressed and WITH his shoes, to get him.

Another time the same little brother put pennies in his mouth- he was around one or so, which means I was about ten. Either no one noticed or everyone froze, because when he started choking I was the only one to react. I turned him upside down and patted his back, which I know now totally wasn't the right move. :/ The pennies came out though!

With my own kids... Nothing yet. Thankfully.
IDGAF-
by NO1CURR on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I saw my nephew get hit by a car. The memory still makes me nauseous.

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

The scariest with one of my kids was when my oldest had a severe allergic reaction and stopped breathing. 

With another child, I went to Chick Fil A with a client and a mom came in with 2 boys. She ordered and the kids went into the play area. I guess one boy had gone around the slide and climbed the netting. He slipped and got his head wedges between 2 of the plastic pipes. I have no clue how it happened but he was hanging. The other boy ran out screaming so I went in expecting his brother to have fallen but nothing like that. I just grabbed his waist and lifted him so the pressure was off his neck and he could get air. It took 20 minutes to get his head out. He was  heavy too. 

over40bride
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow That's scary! Glad it all worked out.

When my now 23yo was 2, we went to the water park. (in Phx, AZ in July) The temp was probably 113 or higher. 

My DS was strapped in his car seat in the middle back seat. My boyfriend and I locked and closed our doors only to realize the keys we on the seat right next to the car seat!

I went into full panic mode while BF was all calm. I was like GO GET HELP!!! (remember this was 21 years ago. No cell phones.)

I stayed with the car and was looking in at him and smiling and talking to him in a soothing voice. That worked at first but then people gathered around and he was baking in that car and he started sweating and crying. I was beside myself. Some ppl tried breaking the glass to no avail.

Finally the fire dept showed up and asked if they could break a window. ASKED o.O I was like YES PLEASE!!!.

So they did and got him out. Sat him down in the shade, gave him water and checked his vitals. He was ok. 

I remember asking the fireman if i should take him home. He said no, by all means take him to the cool water and let him enjoy the rest of the day. 

I felt like the worst mom ever.

Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't even imagine that....wow. Sorry you had to witness that

Quoting IDGAF-:

I saw my nephew get hit by a car. The memory still makes me nauseous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Nothing too bad yet. We live about a block off of a very busy street and my one and a half year old unlocked and opened the front door while I was blow drying my hair. He has just came in the bathroom and a few minutes later I had this gut feeling and when I went to check he was gone. I ran out in just my undies and bra, luckily he had just walked to the neighbors to play with a toy. Sounds like nothing but it was freaking scary!
Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Honestly had it been my DS I can't say that I wouldn't have frozen. He is much smaller than his cousin (half his weight actually) and I feel like he would've went straight to the bottom. I cried thinking about it.

Quoting Anonymous: My mom had a similar incident with my little brother once at a big family get-together. A few people were standing on the dock, and my little brother who must've only been two or three at the time was leaning over to look at the water and fell in. My mom didn't react well- she bent down to start taking off her shoes, heh. My dad's friend dove in, fully dressed and WITH his shoes, to get him.

Another time the same little brother put pennies in his mouth- he was around one or so, which means I was about ten. Either no one noticed or everyone froze, because when he started choking I was the only one to react. I turned him upside down and patted his back, which I know now totally wasn't the right move. :/ The pennies came out though!

With my own kids... Nothing yet. Thankfully.
ladyvamp5489
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM

My mom was babysitting a baby and he stopped breathing, good thing i had just finished my CPR training a few days before and was able to revive him. He had a seizure the hospital said. 

Also my son wasnt home when i got home one night from drs appt, and i couldnt get ahold of his phone, I called his friends and none of them had seen him since school, i was about ready to call police then my dh remembered he had campus life that night so i called them and he was there!  LOL I felt so dumb, having neighbors and friends out looking for him too! 

shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM
I was living in a 4 story apartment complex. I lived on the second floor. One day I was out on the balcony that faced another building in the complex. There was a little boy on the 3rd floor of that building. I could see him in the window. He was maybe 2 years old. Suddenly, the screen popped out and the baby fell out the window! I immediately called 911 and ran outside, terrified at what I was going to see. Thankfully, he landed in a large bush. He seemed to be ok. He was alert. The mother came down hysterical. I had to stop her from picking him up in case of a neck or back injury. The ambulance came and took him away. I saw him the following day and he was ok! Minor scrapes and bruises. .but that is it! Thank God for that bush!
zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM
I almost drowned with dd in my arms when she 6 months old. I was so scared and I cried. Dh had to pull her out by her head because no one else was coming to help. I learned to swim that month.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)