Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

holy s*** f*** please help. tornado

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM
  • 83 Replies
Tornado warning for the next county over. Yes a county away BUT the storm is coming my way. We RARELY ever get tornadoes. I literally have no idea what to do if one hit here.

Apartment. Bottom floor out of 3. No basement. No tornado shelter to go to (literally they never really happen here)

???

**thank you all. The cloud with rotation is heading for the coast. The warning expired for that tornado, but the whole state is about to get hit with severe T-storms. (THOSE are normal here).

I took notes thank you!

Im in NH
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-FancyFace-
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Inside most windowless room. Put on helmets if you have them and lay under blankets and shit. We get warnings often and I have never actually seen a tornado.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Innermost room with no windows. If it's a bathroom that's good get in the bathtub and if possible hold a mattress over you if not just lay down in the tub. If it isn't a bathroom then just hunker down as protected from the outside walls as you can get.

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM
There are a ton of people traveling through the area for the long weekend. I couldnt imagine being in that traffic right now.

Every room has a window. Bathroom? One small window but its a tiny room.

Quoting -FancyFace-: Inside most windowless room. Put on helmets if you have them and lay under blankets and shit. We get warnings often and I have never actually seen a tornado.
winkyloafed
by jesus is a biscuit on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Get under a table or move it near a wall that has no window. Hide in a hallway. Cover yourself with a blanket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Most interior room with no windows.  We had a tornado touch down near our house and I was *this close* to throwing the kids in the tub.  

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Its a tiny apt. Every room has a window. If a warning hits here we'll head to the bathroom. Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

Innermost room with no windows. If it's a bathroom that's good get in the bathtub and if possible hold a mattress over you if not just lay down in the tub. If it isn't a bathroom then just hunker down as protected from the outside walls as you can get.

RheaF
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Get in a closet, if you can fit a matress or cusions in with you do it. Sit on the floor, with the cushions over your head. Bring your phone, flashlight, and radio if you have one.

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Our kitchen table would wedge in the hall nicely. Thank you!!

Quoting winkyloafed: Get under a table or move it near a wall that has no window. Hide in a hallway. Cover yourself with a blanket.
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Last year was the first time we ever got a tornado warning here too. Thankfully Hubby was home and stayed calm. I was about terrified though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Get in the tub and lay down, cover yourself with a mattress. We had a tornado come through and rip our roof off when I was a little girl. My dad covered me with his body. He had ropes around the mattress and held it on top of us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)