Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Marrying for $$ (with edit)

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM
  • 10 Replies
We (DH and I) have this friend who has had a tough childhood filled with abuse and poverty. This has shaped her life obviously and it doesn't always have her making great decisions.

She is divorced (no kids) after marrying a jerk who happened to be gorgeous because she thought one outweighed the other. You would think she'd have learned but no.

She has been dating this guy for 3 months. He is the opposite of her ex in that he is very awkward looking and most would call ugly but I don't judge that way, but he does have some unusual characteristics. He also has zero personality. They have nothing in common, so not talk to each other or have a real physical attraction.

She stayed she slept with him once because she felt bad. Oh! She calls him ugly! Today she invites us for lunch with herself and her "boyfriend" because she had some news.

They are getting married! We were floored!! I took her to the bathroom later on in the meal and questioned her as to why after all she has said about him.. Her answer? He is wealthy and she would never want for anything again. She said she could deal with having sex once month to have the lifestyle she wanted.

I'm beside myself. I've known her for 31 years and not sure how to look at her seriously. I know it's a mental health/emotional issue but does that excuse it? Does this guy deserve this? He seems over the moon with excitement and my husband said maybe he is using her back for a trophy wife, but we do not think so at all!

Please lend some suggestions as to where to go from here. I know it's my decision alone but just wonder what others think.
Thanks!

Edit: I guess my real question is : Would you marry for money only?
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM

As long as the two of them are ok with the arrangement and he's not abusive, let it be. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM
If they're both on board, there's nothing anyone can do. You live and you learn. Mistakes or not.
Remy11
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM
I have no idea if he is on board.. It was just a question my DH thought of..

Quoting Anonymous: If they're both on board, there's nothing anyone can do. You live and you learn. Mistakes or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Most people are aware of their own attractiveness, so I'm sure he has realized she is 'out of her league' and may have ulterior motives. I think most wealthy men with 'trophy wives' realize this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I mean, if he wants to marry her and they've only slept together once or a handful of times, I guess he is?

Quoting Remy11: I have no idea if he is on board.. It was just a question my DH thought of..

Quoting Anonymous: If they're both on board, there's nothing anyone can do. You live and you learn. Mistakes or not.
suzanneyea
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM

He sounds a lot better than half the men I read about on here.

Remy11
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Anything is better than half the men in here lol.. But all kidding aside he does seem nice. My husband is out with him now to talk so I'll find out more.

Quoting suzanneyea:

He sounds a lot better than half the men I read about on here.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Situations like this have existed throughout human existence. If both enter into it with open eyes, I have no problem with it.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Agree lol

Quoting Anonymous:

As long as the two of them are ok with the arrangement and he's not abusive, let it be. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I married for love and that isn't going so well. At least if I married for money I could heal it all with retail therapy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)