Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the stupidest parenting advice you've ever gotten?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:54 PM
  • 526 Replies
12 moms liked this
I'm an admin on a moderately popular parenting page on Facebook, a fan asked for suggestions about what to do for teething pain. I posted her fan submission for others to discuss.

One mom suggested the whisky on the gums trick, and then this other woman blew the fuck up on her, saying she was a horrible mom for giving her child ALCOHOL and it was her job to keep her kids safe and sober and what kind of bad mom she must be for giving her baby booze!
After a good hour of back and forth between her and a handful of other moms, the angry mom then said "you should try McCormick's banana extract instead. That's what I use with my son, and he loves the flavor."

I had to intervene at this point, and said "You DO realize that the number two ingredient in all of McCormick's extracts is ALCOHOL, right?"
She then gave me a big fuck you, uunfollowed the page, and then posted on another, smaller parenting page that I also admin for, about how awful and judgemental the more popular page is, and how all the smaller page's fans should unfollow them immediately. At that point I commented to let her know I was the same admin, and I don't allow trash talking on that page, and that she was being banned (the larger page is an uncensored one, but the smaller one has a no bullshit policy.)

I just thought it was horribly stupid of her to give advice on extracts, when she didn't even know what was in them.

What stupid parenting advice have you guys gotten?
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Bump!
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Nothing comes to mind. I cant even think of a time that I have been given parenting advice.

sm1bm3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM
8 moms liked this
Yes, lots. But I couldnt tell you what it was because it went in one ear and out the other.
MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM
3 moms liked this
When my 17-yr old was teething, my grandpa told me to let her chew on a wooden clothespin! My exact words were, "Are you on crack?!" I know, very disrespectful but it was a natural reaction!
catcameback
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM
29 moms liked this

I was in an elevator when ds was about 6 months old and he was crying, so I bounce-swayed him on my hip a bit saying"hush hush hush"

There was an elderly couple in the elevator and the man said "You shouldn't do that."

Then proceeded to tell me if I didn't let him cry, his lungs wouldn't grow in.  His wife sat there nodding.

I just laughed and told them "He's 6 months old, if his lungs haven't grown in yet, I have more problems them his crying!"

booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard a lot. The dumbest one was that I should spank my kids, it would make them respect me more. Oh, and that I should breastfeed past one, it'd make my kids too sexual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM

my  sister in lawtold me to give my two day old baby meds. because she was crying..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM
To add extra water to formula so it lasts longer
ArtsyMomma83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM
4 moms liked this
Lol, omg.

The stupidest advice I got was to heat up vaseline and pour it in my DD's ear for an ear ache or blow cigarette smoke in it bc the heat will make it feel better ...... I was like WTF! LOL
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Omg no

Quoting catcameback:

I was in an elevator when ds was about 6 months old and he was crying, so I bounce-swayed him on my hip a bit saying"hush hush hush"

There was an elderly couple in the elevator and the man said "You shouldn't do that."

Then proceeded to tell me if I didn't let him cry, his lungs wouldn't grow in.  His wife sat there nodding.

I just laughed and told them "He's 6 months old, if his lungs haven't grown in yet, I have more problems them his crying!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)