Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home schooling, public. or private?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM
  • 62 Replies
I have been against sending my kids to public school since I was pregnant with my first. I know nothing about private schools so I have no opinion on them. I believe I can properly educate my children at home but worry about the social interaction they will miss due to home schooling.

I am just looking for opinions and advice about home schooling and private schools.

**I am going to be home schooling my kids. In the next year I will start getting things ready to begin. Thank you everyone you all gave me a lot to think about and look for, etc. I appreciate it all.
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JENNlEPEPSl
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:13 AM

I am using public online school. Its public school, but your child attends at home, with you as a supervisor. I love it, because I dont feel capable of homeschool, but public school was not working, and private school is too expensive. 

Feel free to check out my group! 

Qzx
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM
I don't know if I could adequately provide homeschooling for my children. I never really thought about it with my first, and he really needed the social dynamic and the structure involved with traditional school.
With my youngest, I just don't know. He has some speech delays and will likely be going to head start next year. His speech therapists are working on evaluations and stuff. But I really want him around other kids too, private school isn't really financially feasible right now. So he'll likely be in public school too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM
I looked for the top rated/ranked public schools in our district and applied for transfers. Its a bit of a drive but well worth it, the staff is great, and the teachers really care. I didnt not find that connection with the private schools in my area. I homeschool over the summer. Which may not count to some but it makes it a lot easier when they go back to school in the fall.
Lala06
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:31 AM
We do online homeschool. I'm help and teach where need be but they are online with the majority if it. I would do private or Montessori school but have yet to find one in ok with
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMaddHatress
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:32 AM
I am leaving homeschooling up to how well they do in regular school. They start Primary next year, we will see how it goes. I will be supplementing their education at home as well. If we do need to home school I will remedy the social interaction by letting them attend local activities, sports, dance, clubs etc.
Beyonce1
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:34 AM
My kids are in privet. The reasons are: NO WAY I was going to send they to public, and I'm not capable of teaching them.
StreetsAhead
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM
Ours go to State (public) DH is against Private education and they are good by us.
Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Mine go to public school. My oldest and I would not tolerate being together with me as her teacher everyday. She is the most sociable person I know. Going out to home schooling meet ups would not be enough for her... so in the end, it would drive me bonkers lol

I am a teacher now (ECE), and love teaching children that I do NOT live with. My son goes to the centre too but he is not in my room.

Cassie2115
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:54 AM
My oldest is starting kindergarten at a local private school this fall and her younger sister starts prek at the same school. There is some financial assistance and I budget for the rest. It's worth it IMO. I graduated from the same school system and remember going to college and learning things I learned as a freshman in high school while others had never seen it before. I would like to homeschool once we move to the farm in 2016 but dh doesn't like the idea because of the social interaction part. If I would homeschool I would probably do the online school with a lot of supplementing. I will be doing supplementing with the private school also.
Verrine
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Just because a school is private doesn't mean it's better. In many cases, the teachers are paid less. Public schools also have to offer special services if the child needs them. If you have a good breadth of knowledge and are open to new ideas, then providing individual attention in home schooling may work for you. Check on whether there is a good home school network in your area. If your own social skills are good, then your children's will likely be as well, if you put any effort into it.  

In our case, SD attended a tiny private high school. Tiny means about 20 kids total. She took the same Social Studies class 3 times under different names. She needed the emotional support. When she went to college, she crashed without the constant attention from her teachers. 

DS attended a private school for kindergarten. The teacher was average. He is now in a public elementary school. He has had several excellent teachers and some average ones. He was 8 the first time we ran into a problem with him understanding something better than the teacher did. We could provide as much, if not more, academically in a home school setting than he will get at any public or private school.

My concern is his socialization. Our family's social skills are below average. He is currently in a social skills group because he needs specific training on the rules that most children acquire naturally. He needs exposure to children of all types. As long as he is happy in public school, he will stay there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)