Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Supplies - is it okay to....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 139 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it okay to buy generic on some school supplies?

Options:

No, buy all brand name

It's okay to mix and match brand name & generic

Doesn't matter, buy generic

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 197

View Results

Is it okay to buy generic when it comes to school supplies???

DD is going into kindergarten this fall & I've been stocking up on school supplies over the summer since we can't really afford to buy it all at once. I've gotten most of the items that are only $1 or $2 out of the way.

When it came to glue sticks, erasers, pencils, crayons etc, I bought brand name (Elmer's, Crayola, Bic) because they are only a few cents more than the generic anyway.

But dude. Ziplock brand is kinda spendy. So is Clorox. These are brands I never even buy for my own home, because the $3 extra per box for baggies is another gallon of milk.

Is it okay to buy generic on a few things for school supplies?? Or should I just buck up and buy brand name??

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Of course it's okay to buy generic.

Medic31
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy whatever you want. She won't use half the list and the extras will go into a community pot.

School supplies are a racket.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM
if its classroom supplies meaning items that are shared among all the Kidz or items for the classroom you should buy the brand that is requested. However if they are things that only your child will personally use I think its okay to buy the generic. The way I'll look at it the other kids will be bringing in the name brand stuff which your child will be sharing In so it's not really fair for you to get generic
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Buy generic on a few things for school supplies unless stated that they want the brand name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM

those are fine.  i have a tote box that i store extra supplies in.  i get the next year's list now and buy. you are always going to need the basics. i buy some things through the year. most when the sales it. i even extra back packs when they went to clearance, and tri boards for the projects.

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this

You can buy a lot of ziploc like bags n' stuff from The Dollar Tree. They sell the disinfectant wipes there too if you want to get those but I'd probably just buy the Great Value ones from Walmart.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this

We buy brand name on almost everything because really it is just better quality stuff.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I think generic is fine for those.  Especially for younger grades, I wouldn't skimp on the crayons because the generic ones are horrible.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Of course it's ok lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM
As a teacher I don't really care if parents buy generic or brand name, the exception being glue. Elmer's white glue and scotch glue sticks work the best and I request them for that reason. If a hold does not get them though it's not a big deal. To be honest I go out and buy most of the classroom supplies anyway, so I can choose the products I like best.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN