Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home owners claims? Anyone?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last Saturday, our dryer caught on fire. It was accidental and extinguished very quickly by my towns fire department.

An insurance adjuster visited the house to do a walk through and view the damage per our claim, Tuesday morning. We received our paperwork and received our summary of what we should receive and have decided the amount wasn't worth the claim and the demerits against our insurance. 

FF to today. I took the kids to the zoo this afternoon and my DH is out on a trip. My neighbor just walked over today to tell me that a woman was walking around our home taking pictures of it. My neighbor came over and met her in our backyard. She asked who the lady was and why she was photographing our house. The lady asked if she lived here and then if she was related to the (insert our last name). My neighbor said no, but knew us well and was concerned that some stranger was snooping around our house. The lady told her it was nothing she could discuss with her, wrote something on her clipboard and returned to her vehicle. She stayed in her vehicle for ten more minutes before driving away.

Could it have been our insurance company again? And what could the lady have been doing if an adjuster was already out to our house? I'm concerned, because I have two kids and it's unnerving having someone snooping around. What if my kids were home with a sitter? Or outside playing, which they always are, especially in our backyard. I'm a little freaked out here. Anyone?

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HandMmom12
by Jody on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Oh and as soon as I found out, I called our insurance carrier to ask if it could have been them that visited and they couldn't tell me for certain....freaking weird.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Many times, after a homeowners claim is filed, especially if it has to do with wiring, flooding, and so on, they will send out an engineer type to look over the property.  Keep in mind you HAVE filed the claim, and it will be on your record even though you have declined to use it.  If they feel the house is not kept in good repair, they may insist on certain repairs being done in order to continue the insurance.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM
You already filed a claim and they will ask for a certificate of completion to renew your policy, even if you pay out of pocket.
HandMmom12
by Jody on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM

This is a relief to me! So they could just be scoping out the property for continued coverage. Now I really hope it was the insurance company!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Many times, after a homeowners claim is filed, especially if it has to do with wiring, flooding, and so on, they will send out an engineer type to look over the property.  Keep in mind you HAVE filed the claim, and it will be on your record even though you have declined to use it.  If they feel the house is not kept in good repair, they may insist on certain repairs being done in order to continue the insurance.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM
They did that when we switched insurance companies. She just took pictures of the outside but at least knocked on the door first.

I don't find it that odd though. I'd just call on Monday.
HandMmom12
by Jody on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM

A certificate of completion in the repairs?? We haven't had anyone out for repairs. They all come out this week. An electrician, a cleanup company, an air conditioning repair agent, and a contractor. Each one should give us a receipt of visit or repair etc, right?

Quoting quickbooksworm: You already filed a claim and they will ask for a certificate of completion to renew your policy, even if you pay out of pocket.

HandMmom12
by Jody on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Today I'm glad I have nosy neighbors!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM
I depends on how they are contracted. I used to do all that paperwork for a fire repair company. If you have a contractor who is coordinating with all the subcontractors, then you need one from the main company. Honestly that is a better way to go because it sounds like you have a lot of work and they will negotiate with your insurance company. If you coordinated everything yourself then you will need receipts and the copy of the completion certificate. Any contractor who doesn't know what a completion certificate is shouldn't be touching your house FYI.

Quoting HandMmom12:

A certificate of completion in the repairs?? We haven't had anyone out for repairs. They all come out this week. An electrician, a cleanup company, an air conditioning repair agent, and a contractor. Each one should give us a receipt of visit or repair etc, right?

Quoting quickbooksworm: You already filed a claim and they will ask for a certificate of completion to renew your policy, even if you pay out of pocket.

HandMmom12
by Jody on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Thank you for the info! I did not know that! I'm really glad I know now so I can get everything lined as legit as possible. I don't want to do this the wrong way. We've never made an insurance claim before and it's kind of terrifying dealing with everything. I want to be as prepared as possible so things go as smoothly and legally as possible! I don't want to do anything incorrectly to jeopardize our policy! Thanks again!!! :)

Quoting quickbooksworm: I depends on how they are contracted. I used to do all that paperwork for a fire repair company. If you have a contractor who is coordinating with all the subcontractors, then you need one from the main company. Honestly that is a better way to go because it sounds like you have a lot of work and they will negotiate with your insurance company. If you coordinated everything yourself then you will need receipts and the copy of the completion certificate. Any contractor who doesn't know what a completion certificate is shouldn't be touching your house FYI.
Quoting HandMmom12:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)