Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for experienced moms

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM
  • 10 Replies
I went in 3 days ago because I was having contractions and they perscribed me vistaril. My question is what does it actually do does it stop ur labotlr or help open ur cervix? Im a first time mom getting to have my first babygirl and im confused please help no bashing please
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Are you sure they gave you vistaril? A quick google search tells me that it is an antihistamine that isn't to be used in pregnancy.
Yosoytumamii
by Mama Chonga on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I've only heard vistaril as an anxiety med, not to stop labour. I guess if stress was causing contractions it could somehow help.
first.time.mom7
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I googled its used for pain but also for a variety of things im just confused and a little scared to take it I took it once n my contractions stopped but came back in the morning mid afternoon...
idunno1234
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This is is absolutely a question for your doctor, the sooner the better.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:16 PM
It will make you very sleepy by the way, so don't take it if you have somewhere to be.
mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Can you call your doctors office? Ask them why they want you to take this. It could be a mix up of medication.

Quoting first.time.mom7: I googled its used for pain but also for a variety of things im just confused and a little scared to take it I took it once n my contractions stopped but came back in the morning mid afternoon...
kymom23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Vistaril is drug that can be used for allergies, itching, or anxiety.

I've never heard of it being used for anything other than that. Especially anything to do with stopping or starting labor. When I went into early labor with my ods, they gave me a med that was normally used for asthma attacks. I can't remember the name right off hand, but it worked by relaxing the muscles of the uterus and therefore stopped the contractions. I hated that crap!! It made me so jittery and I couldn't sleep. I felt like I was going to claw my face off.

Be careful with it. It will make you very sleepy.
Thunderbug75
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Call you Dr

rozgood
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Honestly, I would talk to the pharmacist. I feel like they are more familiar with medications than even doctors

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)