Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how old is old enough for time out?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

The title....And.... how do you discipline a 16 month old? It's such an awkward age. Do they understand? Do they not? Are they being naughty or just confused? 

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
L2495
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM
I would say 2 1/2 ish. With a 16 month old I'd just use distraction.
squirrelml
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM

the quicker you put down the rules, the quicker they will learn to behave.

L2495
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Um.. ok. But how old is old enough for time out?

Quoting squirrelml:

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Cause and effect does not come into understanding until around 3.

Redirect and distract is the best method.

Instead of punishing for what they do wrong, show them how to do it right instead.

Like at that age if my son hit me I would say"ouch that hurts! Hands are for high fiving, not hitting! Can you show me how you use your nice hands?"
Then I would show him how to high five, clap, and rub my arm.
As they get older it's more about teaching them emotional and impulse control once they know the good touch and bad touch. Punishment only reinforces that the behaviour is wrong, it doesn't teach them how to do it right. Often kids misbehave because lack of impulse control. If you teach impulse control you are teaching them how to make a better choice, when you punish them you are only teaching them their choice was wrong.
You don't need to use punishment as a discipline tool, it's often ineffective. I find teaching through example and using natural and logical consequences a much better tool.

Eta: I read a wonderful explanation of punishment last night. Punishment is about manipulating and controlling a child's behaviour using external forces. Where as the goal should be to teach them to control their own behaviour internally.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM
This. I did the high five thing too.

Quoting Retrokitty: Cause and effect does not come into understanding until around 3.

Redirect and distract is the best method.

Instead of punishing for what they do wrong, show them how to do it right instead.

Like at that age if my son hit me I would say"ouch that hurts! Hands are for high fiving, not hitting! Can you show me how you use your nice hands?"
Then I would show him how to high five, clap, and rub my arm.
As they get older it's more about teaching them emotional and impulse control once they know the good touch and bad touch. Punishment only reinforces that the behaviour is wrong, it doesn't teach them how to do it right. Often kids misbehave because lack of impulse control. If you teach impulse control you are teaching them how to make a better choice, when you punish them you are only teaching them their choice was wrong.
You don't need to use punishment as a discipline tool, it's often ineffective. I find teaching through example and using natural and logical consequences a much better tool.
Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I don't remember lol!

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they understand you. They are test you and finding out what is acceptable or not. I don't use time out till around 18m -2 years old. But lots of no's, why they can't and redirect

sarbear8508
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM
They have to be able to understand why they're getting a time out. I would say probably not until 3ish.
squirrelml
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Quoting L2495:

Um.. ok. But how old is old enough for time out?

Quoting squirrelml:

time outs are for older kids, I would say at least 3 years old. Being young they still understand they did something bad. You can tell them that it was bad,but wont understand why they are in a time out. I never used "time outs" I've always gave an explanation on why it was wrong, and steered her into something else, to take her mind off of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)