Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to be a foster mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Can someone recommend some good sites on learning how to be a foster mom in Oklahoma? I have so many questions. What is the income requirement? What are the home inspections like? Can anyone offer first hand experience on what it's like becoming a foster mom? How long does it take? I'm not sure where to start.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM
You can contact the department of children's services in your area or a contract agency. Not sure about your state but you have to be healthy, be able to pass a background check, home inspection and have enough income for your family's needs. (Not be on government assistance) For our agency you have to be 25.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I am a clinical therapist working with children and worked for a child protective agency in my state ( Massachusetts) for twelve years. The best advice I would offer you is to contact your local Department of Children and Families for an information packet. You would have to be able to pass a criminal investigation check, a comprehensive home study and complete a six week training program for prospective foster parents. I would STRONGLY recommend you perhaps get in touch with a foster parents support group and meet several different foster parents and simply listen and ask questions about some of the most rewarding and challenging aspects of fostering. Best of luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM
My husband makes $700 biweekly after taxes. I get WIC and $65 of food stamps a month. We won't qualify?
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM

In my state, you wont qualify if you receive any aid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM
No problems there. My husband and I have never had so much as a traffic ticket. He's an EMT and I'm a stay at home mom and I teach Sunday school at church. I also homeschool, but I wonder if that makes a difference. We have 2 children. Dd is 9 & ds is 1. The only thing is that we are poor. Dh works full time and is in college so he gets student loans. We have a 3 bedroom house. It's a rental but our landlord loves us and we are never late on a payment.

Quoting Anonymous: I am a clinical therapist working with children and worked for a child protective agency in my state ( Massachusetts) for twelve years. The best advice I would offer you is to contact your local Department of Children and Families for an information packet. You would have to be able to pass a criminal investigation check, a comprehensive home study and complete a six week training program for prospective foster parents. I would STRONGLY recommend you perhaps get in touch with a foster parents support group and meet several different foster parents and simply listen and ask questions about some of the most rewarding and challenging aspects of fostering. Best of luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM
We could ask to be off of them. It's only $69. It wouldn't hurt us that much we'd just need to rearrange our budget.

Quoting thenameshailie:

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I suppose and you would also get some for whatever child you were fostering, although I am not sure of why you would want to take a child on if you are already struggling with your own family.

Quoting Anonymous: We could ask to be off of them. It's only $69. It wouldn't hurt us that much we'd just need to rearrange our budget.
Quoting thenameshailie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM
We aren't struggling. Cost of living is very low in Oklahoma. Our rent for instance is $500 a month. I just want to offer a loving home to a child who needs a safe place. If that means having to wait until dh graduates next year then I can wait. :)

Quoting thenameshailie:

I suppose and you would also get some for whatever child you were fostering, although I am not sure of why you would want to take a child on if you are already struggling with your own family.

Quoting Anonymous: We could ask to be off of them. It's only $69. It wouldn't hurt us that much we'd just need to rearrange our budget.

Quoting thenameshailie:

Mrsmommy0810
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I'm in oklahoma and I'm not sure if there is an income requirement. My sister and my best friend are both foster parents. You do have to pass a home inspection back ground check health assessment and take a 4 week foster parent course. It's 4 Saturdays ALL DAY.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 5, 2014 at 8:09 PM
In my state, foster children cannot share a room with any bio children you may have - even if they're the same gender. Are you willing to put your two kids in the same room if this is also a requirement in your state?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)