Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You'll never guess what followed me home!!! UPDATE #2 4 new pictures 7/10

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:47 AM
  • 333 Replies
61 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Baby ducks! After work today I was driving home and saw 2 chick's in the road. I stopped my minivan, got out, then put them on the grass at the side of the road. I walked back to my van and they followed me. I looked around for momma duck but didn't see her. What I did see was 2 more baby ducks that had been run over :-( I walked both babies over to the pond and put them down right next to the water. I live basically right diagonal across the street from the pond so I hopped in the van and parked it. Somehow the babies found me and spent about 3 hours chirping and peeping outside my door. I finally gave in and took them inside. I have them in my fenced in backyard right now with a box and blanket for them to sleep in and a dish of water. I'm going to call some places tomorrow to find out what I should do.

They're super cute though and keep trying to follow me lol

Anyone have experience with ducks? I've never seen all black ones before...

UPDATE

well I called the local wildlife center and the lady there asked me to bring them in. Long story short they are baby cayuga ducks. The one with the "bad hair day" is a crested which she says isn't very common for a cayuga. She also said most crested cayugas don't survive incubation. She said that they are, at the most, a week old and that something must have happened to momma duck because they are insanely protective. She also says they appear to have imprinted on me which makes her believe something happened to momma before they hatched. She asked me if I could keep them. She said if she took them they would likely refuse to eat or drink because they were separated from me.

So, basically we have new family members. She gave me a 5 lb bag of feed for them and a printout about what they need to thrive. She also told me where to go to get more supplies. Now we need names for them...lol

Update 2

The ducklings are doing great I've got them set up in their new home. The last 3 pictures are of feeding time about 5 minutes ago.

Update 3

I added some new pictures. It's amazing how quickly they grow! It looks like they've almost doubled in size!!
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM
7 moms liked this
OMG! They lurv you.

I hope it all works out.
MysticNightSky
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

awww I love ducks.

Bleacher-mom
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww. How cute.
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM
Any experience with them?

Quoting MysticNightSky:

awww I love ducks.

sweetgrlangel
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think those are ducks. Probably geese or swans. With those black legs. But they are super cute and love the one with a bad hair day!

Sorry no advice
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:52 AM
The all black threw me for a loop as well but they definitely have duck bills lol

Quoting sweetgrlangel: I don't think those are ducks. Probably geese or swans. With those black legs. But they are super cute and love the one with a bad hair day!

Sorry no advice
allycally
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:53 AM
No idea but they are cute
MysticNightSky
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:53 AM

Quoting mom2many747: Any experience with them?
Quoting MysticNightSky:

awww I love ducks.

None. I just think they are adorable. I love their quack...their waddle. I love how they seem to have little convos going on amongst themselves...

best of luck!

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:54 AM

Awwwwwww

redneck.crazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Aww I use to own ducks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)