Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breast Cancer Stories.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

Have you had it?

anyone you know had it?

what were their symptoms?

How did they find out?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:42 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Have you had it?

Yes

anyone you know had it?

Yes

None

How did they find out?

Mammograms & Biopsies

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
I know many many many people who have had it. Most recently my aunt. She gets mammograms and ultrasounds all the time, but she felt a lump, they did a better resolution mammogram biopsied it and it was cancer. Stage 1. She had a double mastectomy. No chemo but will be on an estrogen blocker for five to ten years.

Almost everyone else either was diagnosed through regular mammograms or feeling a lump.
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Just found out a week or so ago that my great aunt had breast cancer.. 

She passed away this morning. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM

When my little sister was 27, her boyfriend found a lump near her nipple. She went right away to have it checked out. Turns out it was a cancerous tumor. She had both breasts and lymph nodes on one side removed.  She was given a survival rate of 93%. She never had any symptoms before the tumor was found but after the double mastectomy, chemo and radiation, she seemed fine.

She moved to another State, started college classes and lived and loved life and her 3 small children. About a year later, she started to feel sick- kind of like flu symptoms and she back to the doc to get checked out. The cancer had spread to her breast bone, spine and brain. The tumor on her spine grew so quickly that it actually paralyzed her from the chest down. She was given 3-6 months to live.

My sister, mother of three, a person who was always on the go and loved to cook was confined to a bed to have people bath her, change her clothing and her bed pans. Although I could tell she was sad, depressed, in pain  and scared, she always had a smile for everyone and was a pillar of strength.

On May 21, 2008, I received a call in the early morning hours to get to the hospital because my sister was in bad shape. I was so confused because I had just visited with her two days previous and other than a cough, she seemed fine. I got someone to watch the kids and my husband and I went to the ER.

She was already unconscious and breathing with only a small percentage of lung capacity (during x-rays, they found the cancer had also spread to her lungs) but I was told by my mother than she had been talking earlier like she was a little girl again and at my grandmothers house and then she just stopped talking. We sat with her a little while and then they moved her into a room on another floor. The entire family came and we were with her when she passed away a little while later.

My sister was 29 at the time she died. She left behind three children and a family that to this day misses her terribly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I'm so sorry :(

Quoting IhartU:

When my little sister was 27, her boyfriend found a lump near her nipple. She went right away to have it checked out. Turns out it was a cancerous tumor. She had both breasts and lymph nodes on one side removed.  She was given a survival rate of 93%. She never had any symptoms before the tumor was found but after the double mastectomy, chemo and radiation, she seemed fine.

She moved to another State, started college classes and lived and loved life and her 3 small children. About a year later, she started to feel sick- kind of like flu symptoms and she back to the doc to get checked out. The cancer had spread to her breast bone, spine and brain. The tumor on her spine grew so quickly that it actually paralyzed her from the chest down. She was given 3-6 months to live.

My sister, mother of three, a person who was always on the go and loved to cook was confined to a bed to have people bath her, change her clothing and her bed pans. Although I could tell she was sad, depressed, in pain  and scared, she always had a smile for everyone and was a pillar of strength.

On May 21, 2008, I received a call in the early morning hours to get to the hospital because my sister was in bad shape. I was so confused because I had just visited with her two days previous and other than a cough, she seemed fine. I got someone to watch the kids and my husband and I went to the ER.

She was already unconscious and breathing with only a small percentage of lung capacity (during x-rays, they found the cancer had also spread to her lungs) but I was told by my mother than she had been talking earlier like she was a little girl again and at my grandmothers house and then she just stopped talking. We sat with her a little while and then they moved her into a room on another floor. The entire family came and we were with her when she passed away a little while later.

My sister was 29 at the time she died. She left behind three children and a family that to this day misses her terribly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Was there a lump?

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you had it?

Yes

anyone you know had it?

Yes

None

How did they find out?

Mammograms & Biopsies

Pink_Sunshine_
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM

No. I just watch a lot of documentaries about it and it freaks me out that it's the most common type of cancer. I'm doing self-checks on my breast regularly.

TappyToes
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Was there a lump?

Yes, but it was deep and up against my chest wall.  I would not have felt anything out of the ordinary until it had grown to a much larger size.  

I always checked my breasts monthly  and had mammograms regularly.  The mammogram found it, I had the biopsy and that confirmed the diagnosis.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)