Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband is nervous •update•

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM
  • 29 Replies

Update- The visit went well. My husband said that he didn't feel uncomfortable at all. My father played with Raymond and was very proud of him. My father has lived far away for many years. Due to his age and failing health, he moved back closer. I'm hoping to continue visits and establish a positive healthy relationship between him and my entire family. I'm hoping that when he is gone that my kids will have positive memories. He has come a long way from saying that I'd be disowned if I ever got into a relationship with a person of color.

We are getting ready to go see my father. My husband will be meeting him for the first time in the nearly 4 years we have been together.

My father is a racist/bigot. He doesn't refer to any group without using slurs. The people he hates the most are Mexicans and blacks (and people with dwarfism). Well, my husband is Mexican AND black.

The only good thing we have going for us is that he has had 4 years to get used to the idea, he is very happy knowing I'm happy, and he loves his grandson.

So, we'll see how this goes.
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livingforthem83
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck with that.
rjsmommy214
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM
He loves his grandson even though he's part black and Mexican? I wish you luck, hope everything goes well.
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully your husband can help open your fathers eyes. Sometimes one great encounter can change minds. I hope it all goes well:)
the.B.karma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Well good luck! Is your husband actually excited about meeting him, how does he feel?

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Have DH walk in on his knees so he's your dad's racist trifecta!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM

It says a lot about you as a person that you would keep someone like that in your life and expose your husband and children to him as well.

TrouserMouser
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Yes, my dad has a history of making exceptions. Like, he befriended a couple of black men over the years. His feelings were that they were different, an exception to the rest. These two guys were like white people while every other black person was lazy and dirty. This was how he rationalized things. His grandkids fall under that exception.

Quoting rjsmommy214: He loves his grandson even though he's part black and Mexican? I wish you luck, hope everything goes well.
Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Why the hell would you choose to be around him and expose your dh to him?

Good thing to teach your small kids.
TygrrEyz
by Marie on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Good luck! I hope everything goes well.
AustinsMommy007
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)