Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son was the only one not invited to his classmate's birthday party :(

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The invitations got passed out on the last day of school and he noticed.

He's mildly autistic and has difficulty with social situations. He's 10 and plays rough because he sees the other kids being a bit physical when they play but takes it too far, and similarly doesn't get the difference between poking fun at someone or something politely and being rude or mean when he does. We're working so hard on these things but the other kids think he's a bully because of them.

It breaks my heart for him. Thankfully, he was only a bit upset and seems to have moved on, but it hurts my heart. I tried to call the kids mom but she was pretty mean and actually called him a bully to me. Idk, it's just hard :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM

So your kid - I'm sorry he is autistic, but -the outward manifestation is that he is too physical with his "friends and takes it too far. and others view him as a bully.

And it hurts your heart that your son isn't invited to a classmates party?

You think someone should invite the kid who beats up and bullys them?

tanyainmizzou
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah.

So why should her demon child be invited?

She doesn't control him.  Casn you explain why he should be allowed at a party where kids don't want him?

Quoting 12345abcde54321: I feel fine. If I was a bitch I might not feel so well.
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Okay.

My son isn't banned from parties because he isn't a bully.

Feel better?

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

Damn you are a bitch.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Why does your son deserve to go to a party where the birthday kid doesn't want him?

Him being midly austici doesn't mean that kids don't find him to be a horrible person.

And the fact you called his mom, damn maybe make your kid behave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
This!

Quoting Anonymous: You called the kid's mom?!?
honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM
4 moms liked this
Natural consequences are all fine and good for most kids, but some kids with autism can't understand them.

Quoting Anonymous: This was an opportunity to teach him natural consequences. You could have used this as a way to show him he cannot treat people the way he does and expect them to be nice to him.

Instead it sounds like you just made a bunch of excuses which is really too bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this
The issue here, for all who don't get it, is that he doesn't understand how the way he acts is
Different than how the other kids act all the time. He's learning and getting much better, but it's really that simple.
ladymaleficent
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Omg freaking deal
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM
We don't associate with the class bully. I can't stand the kid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM
5 moms liked this

A birthday party is supposed to be a happy event to celebrate someone with people who will help make the day special.  I'm sure in the mom's eyes, your kid does not fit the bill.  The party isn't about your kid, it's about hers and what's going to be enjoyable for her child.

BrutalTruth
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM
9 moms liked this
Hey man, ima let you finish, but if need be I can be much nore melodramatic than you. Much more.

He shouldn't be rewarded and fucking coddled for being a bully. How is that not a reasonable, rational, thing to you? If my kid was considered the class bully, I sure as fuck wouldn't be celebrating that shit.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

Yeah inviting kids over for your own to play with is awful. She should lock him in his room all summer instead because he's a bully. You're right. It would be horrible for him to have a get together at his house. Fuck playdates and parties for that shitty kid.

Quoting BrutalTruth: Omfg ARE YOU SERIOUS? Throw him a party for no reason, because he kind of got his feelings hurt. Which btw, was a direct result of his actions. So instead of letting him maybe, I don't know, learn from this, let's give him fucking cake and water balloons and say 'hey johnny, they're wrong. You deserve a party for being persecuted. Keep on keeping on'.

These kids have to grow up and be an adult someday. What a terrifying thought that this is what we should teach them.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

That sucks. You shouldn't have called her though. Have your own party for him instead. Even if only a few can make it, he'll love it. Water balloons, a sprinkler, a scavenger hunt.

I hate throwing parties and only inviting some of the kids in the class because I worry that the ones who weren't invited will feel sad. But I'd never exclude only one child and hand out invitations in class - that's shitty.

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Just something he's going to have to deal with. Idk why'd you call his mom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)