Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should vacations be child-centered?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM
  • 251 Replies
My daughter is 20 months and we're thinking about plans for this Christmas. I don't think there's anything wrong with going to the places I would like to visit, whereas Papa bear is under the impression that we need a Disney vacation anytime we leave the state. What do you guys think? Have your vacations turned into all child-oriented locations?

Bete, I don't mean taking kids to non kid-friendly places, like a vineyard, but somewhere in Europe or another place where I won't get severely sunburned
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM
9 moms liked this

Two is pretty young for Disney.

ddhb2007
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM
17 moms liked this
I think you need to take each family member's interests into account when planning a vacation, but they don't need to be child centered. We make sure everyone has fun, so when we went on our cruise, we chose swimming with the dolphins and a beach day (everyone wanted it), Mayan ruins (grown up choice), and the monkey preserve (kid choice). Everyone got to do something fun, and the kid learned about compromising.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of our vacations are child centered, yes.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I think vacations should be enjoyable for everyone going. There should be things for the kids and parents. You do not have to only go to theme parks for it to be child centered.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Your child isn't even 2 years old, do the things that you like but that will keep your child's interest too. Disney isn't a good place for a toddler.

We always do family vacations where we do things that we all enjoy but we are just big kids so it works out for everyone!

abra
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

This exactly! Our kids are 8, 5, 3 and 2. We choose to do things we will all enjoy or take turns. But I agree that a 20 month old won't even remember it if you go to Disney. Save that trip for another year! :-)

Quoting ddhb2007: I think you need to take each family member's interests into account when planning a vacation, but they don't need to be child centered. We make sure everyone has fun, so when we went on our cruise, we chose swimming with the dolphins and a beach day (everyone wanted it), Mayan ruins (grown up choice), and the monkey preserve (kid choice). Everyone got to do something fun, and the kid learned about compromising.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I think you have to take into account the child's ages and if they are going to have fun or not. 

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM

She's too young to remember a Disney vacation and too young to go on most of the rides.

CrimsonNGrey
by Jaba on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM
This. My husband and I wondered the same a while ago, went on vacation to Canada and would up spending all of our time talking about how our kids would love to do everything we did.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Most of our vacations are child centered, yes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I like a combination. We did Disney World this June. I'd like to take the family to Switzerland next time we are able to do a big trip.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN