Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm canceling DD's birthday party

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
1 mom liked this
This year DD is turning 6. She was planning an "all girls" party. We already spent $100 on supplies.

But six of the girls she was planning on inviting (2 each from 3 families) have RSVPed yes to the last two parties and then didn't show up or canceled the day of.

Her sibling just had a party and half of the invites didn't RSVP didn't show and half of the yeses didn't show.

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of shelling out money only to have my kid heartbroken over no-shows.

When DD was turning 4, I sent out a dozen invites. No RSVPs and nobody showed (totally different invites than the last two parties). Thank God she wasnt old enough then to not realize she'd been jipped, but now she is.

It really upsets me. Birthdays are supposed to be the one day a year that a kid gets to feel exclusively special. I'm providing free entertainment for your kid. I'm providing free food for the family. I spend hours planning out activities and hand out nice goody bags. I'm practically bribing you to pretend like you care about my kid for two hours. Why do people act like it's such a burden?

After her siblings disaster party, I talked to DD, and she's willing to wait on her girls' party. We're going to take her to chuck e cheese instead, and celebrate only with close family and one friend - the only friend whose RSVP we could actually trust.

It's just heartbreaking that DD has to give up her day because of other parents' selfishness.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM
3 moms liked this
This is why we don't do parties. DS invites one or two friends to go to dinner and movie, then spend the night. I would be so stressed and upset about kids no showing on him.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Oh and... Happy Birthday to your LO. ((Hugs))
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe the other families have other things to do, it's summer, most people don't just sit around waiting for invites, but I do agree that friend parties are getting harder and harder to do.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM

i like your new plan better anyway! NO mess that way! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM
3 moms liked this

So if this has happened before why on earth did you plan a party for this year? Seems like you set yourself and dd up for a let down. Why don't you just take her for a girls day, manicures, pedicures, hair and some shopping.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

If you knew the last party was a failure why would you even consider to  invite the same girls again. Your DD needs new friends. I would actively help her find them . Once school begins encourage her to invite classmates over.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Sad. Happy Birthday to her. Just have family and let her pick dinner and movie or something. Hugs and good luck mama. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Thank you :) I really thought that I could count on these people because they are (were) family friends, whereas the ones a couple of years ago were kids from daycare. But apparently that doesn't really make a difference.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Oh and... Happy Birthday to your LO. ((Hugs))
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

We always have birthday parties just for family and a few kids my son plays with around the neighborhood. He always has a blast. 

elfling811
by Niki on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM
DD is entering first grade and so far we have only thrown family related parties. I don't know when we will start having bigger parties, if at all. We will probably just keep it to one or two kids and going on an outing somewhere. Our family doesn't really fit in around here, so I don't really expect her to be getting a ton of invites from other kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN