Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When you get asked if you're pregnant and you're not.....

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • 168 Replies

It aggravates me to no end! I was standing in the elevator and I guess the way I had my arms crossed and leaning against the elevator wall made my small pooch stand out. There was a lady smiling at me and she was all like "Aww, are you expecting?" And I know she didn't mean any harm so I just responded blankly like "um, no." She apoligized profusely, but why would she ask that? It is SO rude! I could understand if I had a bigger ball shaped belly, but I don't! I have a small pooch left over from having kids (mine are 3 & 5yrs old). I am a pretty small person (5'3", 125lbs) so I don't feel overweight, it is just hard to get rid of that tummy area. So of course, after that, I got smoothie king for lunch and swear I'll never wear this shirt again. But UGH! SO ANNOYED!!!!!!! Has this ever happened to you?

Edit: I think it's pretty funny that there are some people on CM that are going to say something negative no matter what the post is. Out of almost 170 replies, 3-4 people actually said something to the effect that I needed to lose weight. LOL. Here is a BMI calculator link below. I am in the normal weight range. Now sure, I could tone up a bit, but that is not the point. The point is that I am obviously not over weight and for someone to ask if I'm pregnant was just plain rude. I feel better though that this seems to happen a lot to people like me who just have a small pooch left over from having kids. And believe me, I've tried to work it off, but it doesn't come off. Thanks for all the sharing ladies! I've enjoyed reading all the stories and making me feel not alone, lol, hope you have a good day!

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nellyoleson
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM
9 moms liked this

Yes...it happens to me ALL THE TIME.  To be fair, I carry almost all my weight in my belly, and even when I see pix of myself I see it.  But FFS...I read something once that made me laugh...unless you see the woman crowning, never ask if she is PG! 

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Its never happened to me
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes too many times and that is why I have a gym membership and colon cleanser. I wish people would just keep their thoughts to themselves sometimes. :(

zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM
I've never had that happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't wear dresses with any kind of belts or elastic waist, I always look pregnant. I have diastasis recti, where the muscles in my stomach are separated and stick out, I hate it.
Yes, I have been asked if I am pregnant. I think people learn not to ask. It sucks when they do.
Maybe we just lie and say yes. Lol!
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I've never had anyone assume I'm pregnant.

I really don't even make comments to strangers about their pregnancy, when there's no doubt they are. Lol.
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

It's never happened to me but I'm kind of thinking it should have by now...I'm not exactly on the small side of the weight spectrum.

Just start thinking up random, sarcastic replies like oh yeah...litter of elephants due in about a year. The incubation period is cray! Then walk off. I don't know...

corazonsito101
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM
I was in church when someone told me how many months r u
I got sad lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Yes. It pisses me off. I'm small too but have a stomach. 5'2" 110lbs.
chairhead28
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I haven't ever had that happen to me, but I agree, it is rude.

It's equally as rude when random people (or people you "know" but you don't want them touching you) rub your belly when they know you're pregnant. You don't rub a fat persons belly--don't rub mine just because there is a baby in there. I only like when my husband does it because, well, it's half him. Everyone else can fly a kite :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)