Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sent my kids to bed without dinner.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They wanted to sit there and whine and be rude because it wasn't what "they wanted". I gave them one warning to drop the attitudes, and they refused, so it was off to bed without dinner.

Sorry Charlie, in my house, you eat dinner if you're hungry. If you want to sit there and be rude, saying "yuck" to food and whining, there are consequences.

Would you do the same?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM

My 4 year old rarely eats dinner any more because of this. She usually has no problem with breakfast or lunch, but at dinner, she almost always hates what she's been given. I'm not completely sure why, either, since some of the things she's refusing to eat are things she used to eat just a few months ago, before we moved. Some of the things she's refused are even things we brought with us from California.

ncbirdie
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM

What do you mean by "use food as punishment"?  Do you make alternate meals for them?  What do you do if your child turns their nose up to what you've served for dinner?

Quoting peanutsmommy1: No, I dont use food as punishment

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Because they were whining and rude, and it was time for bed.

Quoting NikkiDoll: Why did you send them to bed? Why not wrap up the food and tell them it will be in the fridge when they're hungry.
ajdahd13
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM
No. If they don't want to eat, that's fine by me. But that means no snacks or desserts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I will not send my kids to bed without supper. I have a hang up about that. My father did it on a regular basis for any reason he deemed you lost supper. I will never do that to my kids. While I will not be a short order cook, I will also not send them to bed hungry. I have made stuff myself and then decided I didn't want it.  I am the one that cooks and picks what we eat. Maybe that child is not wanting that dish for supper. If not I make them at least try. Then they will get something boring, like a bowl of cereal or toast before bed so they don't go to bed hungry. I can not and will not send mine to bed hungry. It happened to me way too much as a child and I can't do it to mine. Add to it, times there was not enough good and we would go to bed really hungry because the only food we'd had that day was school lunch. I will not make food  a battle.

p.s. 

ETA: I have never had my kids refuse to eat something often.  It is rare that it happens.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Yes, and the meal is saved and served the next night for dinner. I run a tight ship budget wise and if it was up to my kuds, they would eat ceral every meal. Sorry, nothing will be wasted in my home regardless of tears or tantrums.
rebeccarae
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM

No, they would have been required to still eat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Yes.   Skipping one meal is not going to hurt them but it will make them remember to be grateful and use manners.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM
If they were hungry, they would have eaten their dinner.

Quoting Littlebunnyfufu: My dad used to do this. I will always think this is wrong.

No I wouldn't send my son to bed hungry. But I would provide a simple snack (healthy fruit or veggies) because hungry helps no one and creates food issues. Food should not be a battle and if there is compromise and healthy habits are taught early and consistently it usually isn't a problem.

Quoting ncbirdie:

Yep.  And it gets wrapped up and served to them for breakfast.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
No, like other I don't use food as punishment or rewards. If they don't eat what I make they can have a piece of fruit or vegetables or yogurt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)