Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sent my kids to bed without dinner.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They wanted to sit there and whine and be rude because it wasn't what "they wanted". I gave them one warning to drop the attitudes, and they refused, so it was off to bed without dinner.

Sorry Charlie, in my house, you eat dinner if you're hungry. If you want to sit there and be rude, saying "yuck" to food and whining, there are consequences.

Would you do the same?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM
My ds is welcome to eat or not eat what I make for dinner, if he chooses not to eat what I made he can eat fruit or veggies

I dont punish for not eating what I make buy making him eat it later

Quoting ncbirdie:

What do you mean by "use food as punishment"?  Do you make alternate meals for them?  What do you do if your child turns their nose up to what you've served for dinner?

Quoting peanutsmommy1: No, I dont use food as punishment

elfling811
by Niki on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:30 PM
When DD acts up like that at the table she is expected to sit quietly until we are finished eating, and then if it is close enough to her bedtime she goes to bed. We do not tolerate attitudes like that at the table. She can either eat what is served or go to bed hungry. The choice is hers. I don't fix outlandish foods, so there's no reason for her to refuse to eat what I cook. We have been expecting her to abide by good table manners since she was about two or 2 1/2. She rarely has a problem with it.
Chunkymunkey922
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Dd knows she can't eat anything else until she eats dinner. If she wants a snack I tell her she has to eat so much of her dinner first. Sometimes she does sometimes she doesn't. If she tells me she's hungry I offer dinner again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:30 PM
If they were hungry, they would have eaten dinner.

And I don't do it will-nilly, for no reason. But bad behavior like being rude and whiny at the table is not tolerated here.

There is also no food shortage, they aren't starving.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will not send my kids to bed without supper. I have a hang up about that. My father did it on a regular basis for any reason he deemed you lost supper. I will never do that to my kids. While I will not be a short order cook, I will also not send them to bed hungry. I have made stuff myself and then decided I didn't want it.  I am the one that cooks and picks what we eat. Maybe that child is not wanting that dish for supper. If not I make them at least try. Then they will get something boring, like a bowl of cereal or toast before bed so they don't go to bed hungry. I can not and will not send mine to bed hungry. It happened to me way too much as a child and I can't do it to mine. Add to it, times there was not enough good and we would go to bed really hungry because the only food we'd had that day was school lunch. I will not make food  a battle.

p.s. 

ETA: I have never had my kids refuse to eat something often.  It is rare that it happens.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM

no I refuse to make food a huge issue in my house. if they want to eat what I offer them, great. if not, they may be excused to go and play or do whatever they want. I won't offer them or allow them to eat anything else. I will box their food up and put it in the fridge for them to eat when they are ready. but I won't punish them for not being hungry or not wanting to eat what I offer. they'll eat it when they are hungry enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

My kids are given the choice. Eat or get ready for bed. If they don't want what they are given, they can sit there until bed time (8pm is bedtime--dinner is usually between 5:45 and 6:30). Once it is time for bed, they have to be done.

It rarely gets that far. 

As far as the attitudes, I don't really punish for that. I just correct them. It's not cool for me to spend hours making something for my family, and then have my kids say "Yuck thats gross", but it would be kind of not cool for me to expect them to like everything I make. So I find a middle ground. I tell them that they need to find a better way to say that they don't like it. Most commonly that would be "I don't like this very much, can we have *insert food they want* tomorrow?" I feel like everyone wins there. 

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

If someone doesn't want what I'm serving, they are free to make themselves a sandwich. Period. They are not permitted to be disrespectful or rude concerning the meal that is being served.

So yes, if they chose to be rude I could not have an issue sending them to bed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

i dont send my son off to bed hungry....he can eat a sandwich or i will send him to his room and when he is done complaining he can eat and then go to his room. but usually he finds something else to eat.

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

And I don't agree with that.  If I offered an alternative to what I've taken the time to cook, my children would always choose to eat the alternative.  Dinnertime is very often a huge fight with the kids refusing to eat (DD mostly because DS makes a big deal out of things and she does everything he does).  I'm not going to spend all afternoon preparing a good, healthy meal only to turn around and fix something else just so they'll eat.  As far as giving it to them for breakfast, that only happens when we've been battling several nights in a row.  I get tired of throwing away food.

Quoting Littlebunnyfufu: My dad used to do this. I will always think this is wrong. No I wouldn't send my son to bed hungry. But I would provide a simple snack (healthy fruit or veggies) because hungry helps no one and creates food issues. Food should not be a battle and if there is compromise and healthy habits are taught early and consistently it usually isn't a problem.
Quoting ncbirdie:

Yep.  And it gets wrapped up and served to them for breakfast.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Same here. 

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

No.  Anyone who goes to bed hungry in my house does so by choice. I wouldn't cook another meal, but she would be welcome to heat up leftovers or soup, or make herself a sandwich or bowl of cereal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)