Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sent my kids to bed without dinner.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They wanted to sit there and whine and be rude because it wasn't what "they wanted". I gave them one warning to drop the attitudes, and they refused, so it was off to bed without dinner.

Sorry Charlie, in my house, you eat dinner if you're hungry. If you want to sit there and be rude, saying "yuck" to food and whining, there are consequences.

Would you do the same?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

See you understand the other side of coin now and see how you do things differently.  Giving them some fruit or veggies is a good option.  You're a good mom.  

Quoting Littlebunnyfufu: My dad used to do this. I will always think this is wrong. No I wouldn't send my son to bed hungry. But I would provide a simple snack (healthy fruit or veggies) because hungry helps no one and creates food issues. Food should not be a battle and if there is compromise and healthy habits are taught early and consistently it usually isn't a problem.
Quoting ncbirdie:

Yep.  And it gets wrapped up and served to them for breakfast.

Littlebunnyfufu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Depends. I hate seafood, always have and every few years I try some just to see so it's not like I haven't given it a chance.

My dad always made fish when my grandfather went fishing. I would refuse to eat it no matter how hungry I was because even the smell makes my stomach turn. It did me no good to stuff down food that was going to come back up. After one incident when he made me sit at the table for 4 hours trying to get me to eat it and then heated it up for breakfast and I only got to leave because I had to go to school, he realized he couldn't bully me into liking fish.

Quoting Anonymous: If they were hungry, they would have eaten their dinner.

Quoting Littlebunnyfufu: My dad used to do this. I will always think this is wrong.

No I wouldn't send my son to bed hungry. But I would provide a simple snack (healthy fruit or veggies) because hungry helps no one and creates food issues. Food should not be a battle and if there is compromise and healthy habits are taught early and consistently it usually isn't a problem.

Quoting ncbirdie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't offer alternative meals. If they were hungry, they'd have eaten dinner.

Offering an alternative in this situation would show them that rude behavior will get them what they want.

Quoting Anonymous: No, like other I don't use food as punishment or rewards. If they don't eat what I make they can have a piece of fruit or vegetables or yogurt.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM
No. I don't punish by withholding food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I just don't agree with it. If you decide you don't like something you have made, it didn't turn out right or something, do you make yourself eat it or go to bed without dinner?  Do you hold the adults in the house to the same standard? 

I discipline them for their attitude and such another way.  I just don't happen to agree with that method. To each their own.

I understand there is no food shortage and they aren't starving. I just don't agree with sending a child to bed without supper.

Quoting Anonymous: If they were hungry, they would have eaten dinner. And I don't do it will-nilly, for no reason. But bad behavior like being rude and whiny at the table is not tolerated here. There is also no food shortage, they aren't starving.
Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM
I would've put . It in the fridge and told them it would be there when they're hungry. Then if they continued to whine it would be bedtime
ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM

For us, that only happens when we've been battling dinner for several nights.  I get tired of my kids acting like I'm poisoning them at every dinner and me having to throw away food.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: My ds is welcome to eat or not eat what I make for dinner, if he chooses not to eat what I made he can eat fruit or veggies I dont punish for not eating what I make buy making him eat it later
Quoting ncbirdie:

What do you mean by "use food as punishment"?  Do you make alternate meals for them?  What do you do if your child turns their nose up to what you've served for dinner?

Quoting peanutsmommy1: No, I dont use food as punishment

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I make one meal and one meal only, you either eat it or starve until the next meal is served.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:35 PM
In this situation, giving them an alternative would have shown them that rude behavior will get them what they want.

Quoting Anonymous:

See you understand the other side of coin now and see how you do things differently.  Giving them some fruit or veggies is a good option.  You're a good mom.  

Quoting Littlebunnyfufu: My dad used to do this. I will always think this is wrong. No I wouldn't send my son to bed hungry. But I would provide a simple snack (healthy fruit or veggies) because hungry helps no one and creates food issues. Food should not be a battle and if there is compromise and healthy habits are taught early and consistently it usually isn't a problem.
Quoting ncbirdie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM

They usually go to bed right after dinner isn't that kinda soon after a meal?  I think that kinda mean to do that. 

Quoting Anonymous: Because they were whining and rude, and it was time for bed.
Quoting NikkiDoll: Why did you send them to bed? Why not wrap up the food and tell them it will be in the fridge when they're hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN