Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hormonal Migraines...Anyone Else?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM
  • 21 Replies
I've had then for about 3 years now. The day or 3 just before that time. Sometimes they aren't that bad but sometimes (like this one) feels like someone is trying to break out of my skull with a jackhammer. I'm laying here in bed, not sleeping because hubby isn't home yet, wishing someone would just chop my head off! Anyone else deal with this? How did/do you get through? Have any advice on making them go away?
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM

hot shower used to help. Also limit caffiene for those few days before.

LEmommy0913
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM
I get them right before my period and when I'm ovulating. I hate them. Sometimes rest makes them go away but sometimes it doesn't and I wake up with it worse than before
Emycf
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Sometimes they get so bad I just take a blanket and pillow into the bathroom so I can sleep next to the vomit catcher.

I can't take any hormonal birth control cause it makes them so much worse. So, no pill, nuva ring, etc. Which is sad cause I really liked nuva ring.

Eta: sometimes excedrin migraine helps if I catch it right at the beginning, but the only thing that will make it go away completely is time and LOTS of sleep. They usually last 3 or 4 days.
krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Yep, that's what this one seems to be working up to. I'm not on any bc, hubby got snipped 4 years ago. I did have the mirena iud and its what started the headaches. It's evil!

Quoting Emycf: Sometimes they get so bad I just take a blanket and pillow into the bathroom so I can sleep next to the vomit catcher.

I can't take any hormonal birth control cause it makes them so much worse. So, no pill, nuva ring, etc. Which is sad cause I really liked nuva ring.

Eta: sometimes excedrin migraine helps if I catch it right at the beginning, but the only thing that will make it go away completely is time and LOTS of sleep. They usually last 3 or 4 days.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I did after my third for a bit. I just had to wait for my hormones to level off and till then. My chiropractor and at times massage therapist were my best friend.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I can't take showers when they get this bad, I get to dizzy. I've fallen over in the shower once from it and never want to try it again. :(

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

JC2223
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I get them, some days are worse than others. Mine tend to be in my forehead to the crown of my head. I start with a dull headache about 5 days before, then it gets progressively worse during my period and they usually go away about 3-4 days after. I've had them for a few years before they were diagnosed correctly and have become worse after I turned 40 (I'm 42 now). I try not to take too many OTC pain meds because that caused me to get rebound headaches. As long as they not too painful and I can function, I try not to take anything. I drink more water, rest and watch my caffeine and salt intake. When they are bad, I take 2-3 Advil with 1 Sudafed. Because mine tend to be more frontal pain, my sinuses act up causing more of a sinus like headache. That's why I take a Sudafed too. 

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Quoting krazymom2boyz: I can't take showers when they get this bad, I get to dizzy. I've fallen over in the shower once from it and never want to try it again. :(
Quoting lucky2Beeme:

go in and sit down let the water pour down over you ?

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM
I've never been to a chiropractor. Are they really as effective as claimed?

Quoting Raeann11:

I did after my third for a bit. I just had to wait for my hormones to level off and till then. My chiropractor and at times massage therapist were my best friend.

strongforthem
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I just get migraines because my brain is broken. Have been getting them for the past 12 years. At least twice a month, sometimes 4 times a month. Usually they last 2 days. 

Im recently on medication to abort the migraines and prevent them. Both are helping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN