Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My baby doesn't need a car-seat

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM
  • 15 Replies
Or so that's what some people think.

Is there a way to report people who don't use one? Or do they have to be caught by a cop? Today while I was putting my kids in the car, the people beside me were getting in theirs too. They had a child no older than 2 with them who they just sat on the floor of the car. They did drive off like that. I managed to make note of their license plate number so I can report it.

But a month or so, I tried reporting someone texting and driving and I was just told that an officer had to catch them in the act.

I know some of you will tell me to myob, but I don't care. That poor child wouldn't stand a chance in even a minor accident and there's no excuse for her not to have one. They could go and get a free car seat easily.
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LEmommy0913
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Bump
friendlymom5
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I would call it in with the plate number and let the cops figure it out. maybe they don't have a carseat aand cops can help with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM
I don't know, but I had a scary moment when someone tried to "save" my child. So I tend to be less judgmental of others.

I came out of the grocery store once carrying my toddler. He was asleep and heavy. I opened the door and set him in his car seat, but it was very hot in the car. I got in the car myself, started it up, and cranked on the AC. I had not yet buckled him in his seat, being more concerned about the heat. I was about to go back around to his door to get him buckled in when a man started yelling at me about endangering a child by not buckling him properly and actually reaching in my vehicle trying to get my keys. At that point I couldn't even try to get out to buckle my kid in and had to try to pull out of the parking space and get away from him without running him over. It was awful scary. People should be careful that when they pass judgment on others they aren't the ones who are being abusive. I'm sure he went home and told his wife about the wicked woman who endangered her child by not buckling him in and smugly thought about what a great person he was trying to save the innocent child.
snowball01201
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I saw something like this happen only the child was younger and they put the baby on their lap after throwing the car seat in the back to make room for the mountian of bags of groceries. We followed them as they left the parking lot while calling 911 to report them, we told them exactly where they were until we saw the cop pull them over. 

LEmommy0913
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Wow, that's scary.

But I'd never harass someone like that. If they had a car seat for her, or even if they had made her sit in a regular seat, I probably wouldn't have paid attention

Quoting Anonymous: I don't know, but I had a scary moment when someone tried to "save" my child. So I tend to be less judgmental of others.

I came out of the grocery store once carrying my toddler. He was asleep and heavy. I opened the door and set him in his car seat, but it was very hot in the car. I got in the car myself, started it up, and cranked on the AC. I had not yet buckled him in his seat, being more concerned about the heat. I was about to go back around to his door to get him buckled in when a man started yelling at me about endangering a child by not buckling him properly and actually reaching in my vehicle trying to get my keys. At that point I couldn't even try to get out to buckle my kid in and had to try to pull out of the parking space and get away from him without running him over. It was awful scary. People should be careful that when they pass judgment on others they aren't the ones who are being abusive. I'm sure he went home and told his wife about the wicked woman who endangered her child by not buckling him in and smugly thought about what a great person he was trying to save the innocent child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM
I am not 100% sure about this....but I have heard that some states dont have car seat laws. I am in CA. ..we have them here....though some people do ignore them. My mom was stopped behind a car at a red light once and a kid, maybe 2 or 3, was standing on the back seat looking at her through the back window. She pulled out her phone to take a picture and they gave her the middle finger.
LEmommy0913
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM
They all do. The state I'm in has one of the weakest car-seat law and it still protects children under 4.

Quoting Anonymous: I am not 100% sure about this....but I have heard that some states dont have car seat laws. I am in CA. ..we have them here....though some people do ignore them. My mom was stopped behind a car at a red light once and a kid, maybe 2 or 3, was standing on the back seat looking at her through the back window. She pulled out her phone to take a picture and they gave her the middle finger.
ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Call the non-emergency line and report it with vehicle description, license plate number, and direction they're headed. They do have to catch them in the act, but you can still report it.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

(If you're on my Facebook, please don't say anything yet!!) 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Get the plate number and call the cops.
jeboccer
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

It depends on your state laws.  In some states it is not a primary infraction.  Meaning they cannot pull over someone simply for having an unrestrained child (this is the same for seat belt violations).  If they pull them over for something considered primary they can issue tickets for the childseat/seatbelt violations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)