Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I let her?... UPDATED

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM
  • 63 Replies
My daughter (8 almost 9) finished all her summer reading list for school, she's read all the books in her room and a lot of our books. She just finished the Percy Jackson series. We usually go to the library weekly, but she asked me tonight if she could read the "Twilight" series instead of checking out more books. She has seen the movies, with my supervision and she closed her eyes for the sexual scenes, but she knows what sex is and has for over a year now as we've had "the talk". She's read the Harry Potter Series, The Lord of the Ring Series, many R.L. Stein books, and the Lemony Snicket series (before they are suggested).

So, in my situation....would you let your daughter read the series?

UPDATE: Thanks for all the input ladies, your feedback was very helpful. I'd also like to thank those of you who gave me ideas for more books try for my daughter. Hopefully we'll be able to stay entertained for the rest of the summer! Lol
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myflowerasd
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Why wouldn't you?
AvantGardener
by Song Bird on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM

I've never read it, so I don't know how graphic it is.

skittlefart
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:47 AM

It's a horrible read in my opinion but if she wants to do it I wouldn't care. 

photo summerbabies_zps1e9f58e9.jpg
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes, the author does a good job of downplaying the sexual parts and encourages girls to wait.
Uhura
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM

No, cause it's trash. >.> Course, I wouldn't have let her watch the movies either.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

munky.wench
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM
2 moms liked this

You should check this site out. It has reviews and age suggestions from parents and kids, separated of course. This is my back up for movies and books when I want to see if it is appropriate. I have found some well written out reviews on things.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/twilight-the-twilight-saga-book-1

pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:50 AM

I wouldn't do it.

228mommy922
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I would. I think it's amazing she is so into reading.
myflowerasd
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:51 AM
I haven't either. But since she's already seen the movies, has read Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, etc... and she had already had the 'talk' with her dd. I think that if there's anything in there her dd had questions or concerns about that she would go to her mother about.

Quoting AvantGardener:

I've never read it, so I don't know how graphic it is.

sdsstargazer
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:52 AM
When talking to my friend I was told how horrible and adult it was and not to let her read it, blah blah blah...I was thinking Harry Potter has violence, Coraline was very dark, and she loved that book...so I didn't think these would be that bad. So I thought I'd get a wider opinion base.

Quoting myflowerasd: Why wouldn't you?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)