Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I go through her phone every morning *ETA*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 234 Replies
13 moms liked this
Every morning before I go to work I go through my dds (13) cell phone and look at her texts and call history. I feel this is my right as her parent and she has no idea I do this. I don't read her journals or private writings however I would if I ever felt it was needed. She's a good kid who gets good grades and has never given me a reason not to trust her.

I hear about kids getting into bad situations all the time who are"good kids" and I'd rather be safe than sorry. When my other child is old enough to have a cell I will do the same.

*ETA*

I too used to be one of those parents who thought it was an invasion of privacy to go through someone's stuff child or not. Three separate events changed my mind.

First was a friend of mine who had a 14 year old son who was notified by police they found messages from a child preditor to their child.

Second was a 14 year old found dead of a drug overdose.

Third was a suicide pact between a 15 tear old girl and a 16 year old boy.

What did these three things have in common? All were "trustworthy" teens with parents who "respected" their privacy. All three also had texts in their phone that had their parents read them these tragedies could have been prevented. The latter two cases had newspaper articles with the parents stating they wished they would have paid more attention to their child's media devices.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NCJen84
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:19 AM
7 moms liked this

Good for you! You're being a responsible parent.

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:19 AM
4 moms liked this
I agree. It seems a majority of moms on here do not though. In my house you get that kind of privacy when you become an adult.
Zengirl79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that these days you have to do that.  I will do the same when my kids are old enough to have phones.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Thank you! I feel guilty like I'm doing something wrong but I know teenagers can be sneaky and not always upfront about dangerous issues they may encounter.

Quoting NCJen84:

Good for you! You're being a responsible parent.

Clubpenguin
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Good. At 13 she shouldn't be doing anything you can't see.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM
10 moms liked this

Well, are you also going to piss and moan when she catches you and loses all trust in you? If you are so damn sure that you're doing the right thing, why not tell her you do it and quit being sneaky about it?

Sparkler16
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I would absolutely do the same thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this
Why does she even have a phone?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Exactly. She was told when she got the phone that I reserve the right to go through it at my discretion but I don't tell her when I do it. To date I have never found anything that would be cause for concern thank goodness.

Quoting cntrdmom: I agree. It seems a majority of moms on here do not though. In my house you get that kind of privacy when you become an adult.
TeacherMommy131
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM
I would tell her. We plan to monitor our kids too but we want to keep an open line of communication.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)