Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should SAHM have a say in...EDIT

Posted by   + Show Post
Having more kids?

Say the couple has one child. How much say does the sahm have over having another. Seeing as she isn't financially contributing.

Just a discussion a couple friends and I were having yesterday. I'm sure someone will find a way to start shit, but I'm interested what you all think.

This came up because a girlfriend of mine is a sahm who wants another child. Her husband says he doesn't. Doesn't want the financial burden despite being able to afford it. So hence, she doesn't contribute, she doesn't get a say.
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Replies (351-360):
booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Having children is a decision a couple should make together, and in the end, only the WOMAN has the final say, since it is HER body that will be carrying the pregnancy. Adoption would be a non-issue if both partners didn't want to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjhunter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Um yes.  They both do.  They shouldn't have any more children until they both agree its the right time.  If it's only finances holding him back she needs to step up and look for ways to cut their budget or make a little income on the side.

IQuitCounting
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM

What.  The.  Fuck.  Are we talking he wants more of she does?

A woman is not just a baby making machine.  I don't care what her position in life is, she has a say in everything that happens to her body.  So if he wants more and she doesn't, well, sorry, she gets more say.

Now, if she wants more and he doesn't?  Then he has just as much say as she does.  He can say no.  He can get a  vasectomy, he can refuse sex, etc.

boys2men2soon
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand that mentality.  Money should not be the powerhouse in a marriage.     I was a SAHM for 15 years.    The choice for me to stay home and Dh to work was mutual.  Any and all money he makes is half mine, just like our home and our children are half his.   We make all major decisions together... always have, always will.

Yes, as the Mother and the other half of a partnership....she should have an say.     In fact, since she is the one who will spend nine months pregnant and deliver the baby, she should have MORE say.  

oldie500
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM

BUMP!

achorney
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM

LOL, if i have to carry anything, I have say in it. Doesn't matter how many jobs I have.

Cat1014
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM
How do you feel SAHM's lose touch w/reality? I raised four children and have been both SAHM and working outside home home mom...I always knew what was what. Each situation is unique and both have their own unique challenges.

Quoting Mrs_Snail: I'm not quite sure. The sahms I know have lost the link with reality.
shaay_5
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

she has as much right as him its hes only stuck on the money maybe she should get a part time job and work from home something she can do while the kids are sleep if its the other way around and he wants more she should still have a say because she is the one to carry the baby 

Cat1014
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my I thought we were in the year 2014 not 1914!!! Head of household??? Not in my house!!! We are equals!!

Quoting Anonymous: Raising kids he's busting his butt every day to support. Yes she can have a say, but his word should be final. Head of the household. In my house is how it goes. And I'm a working mom...

Quoting jabs54:

"she doesn't contribute..."   Are you kidding?!?!?!?!?!?!  She's raising the kid!!!!!!!!!!

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:42 PM

50%.  Her husband has 50% say.  In a household the money is shared, and the SAHM should have 50% say in all financial decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)