Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your adult child was in the hospital for a predicted week, would you take the week off of work? EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 336 Replies
Would you and your spouse stay at the hospital all day for 12 hours a day with your adult child while they were there? What if their spouse was there 24 hours a day?

Edit-my SIL is in the hospital for a scheduled kidney stent-she is progressing well with full recovery in sight. I am caring for her 3 children and 2 dogs, and of course I have 2 children of my own. I can't fit them all in my car to leave, and my in laws stay at the hospital for 12 (sometimes more) hours a day and have taken off from work to do so. I'm exhausted and need help-they say they're exhausted from the hospital visits. Her husband is there for 24 hours a day. I'm going crazy while they are sitting with a recovering patient.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM
If I was able to, I would. If I couldn't, I would make sure that there was someone who could fill the hours that I wasn't able to be there.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM

No, unless it was some freak accident, but since you called it a "predicted" week I am assuming that means it is planned.

jjames0991
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM
7 moms liked this
Yes. Absolutely. When DD was in for 10 days, DH and I took turns staying with her. I don't care how old she is, still my child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM
In this case, the spouse is always there.

Quoting Anonymous: If I was able to, I would. If I couldn't, I would make sure that there was someone who could fill the hours that I wasn't able to be there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Probably not.
giroirk
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM
4 moms liked this
No, not unless they needed me. Especially if they are married.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Taking turns is one thing...this situation has both parents and the spouse there, in the room, all the time.

Quoting jjames0991: Yes. Absolutely. When DD was in for 10 days, DH and I took turns staying with her. I don't care how old she is, still my child.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM

most likely not

aimesnyc
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM
4 moms liked this

I would be there whenever my child and his spouse wanted me to be there.  I would also make sure to give his spouse breaks, etc.  Basically, I would be "on call" with them during the entire week.  And I would make sure my work was aware.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Yes, planned.

Quoting sarah824:

No, unless it was some freak accident, but since you called it a "predicted" week I am assuming that means it is planned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN