Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tubal ligations and vasectomys

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Me and my husband are looking into vasectomys and tubal ligations, he is willing to get a vasectomy and has his consultation set up for next month. His insurance covers 80%, my insurance will cover 100% if I get a tubal ligation done. Vasectomys are easier and quicker recovery time and I have heard of women having issues after a tubal with pain, weight gain, hormones, and such. I am worried about still getting pregnant if he gets a vasectomy. We have also considered doing both procedures to make sure we definitely don't get pregnant. I would like to some personal experiences if you have had a tubal. For those of you whose husbands had a vasectomy, have you had any unplanned pregnancys? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM
My husband had a vasectomy. They test to make sure they are sterile, and advise you to use backup protection until the test shows that sperm is no longer present in the "sample". I chose not to get a tubal because my best friend's sister had an ectopic pregnancy after hers that ruptured, and she had to have an emergency hysterectomy. I know that typically issues like that are uncommon, but that just happened occur right around the time we were considering permanent birth control so it made my decision much easier.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM
A vasectomy is, by far, the safer option.

Edited because i wrote tubals were safer for some weird reason.
AlanahsMommy623
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM
I'm getting a tubal after dd is born next month because my insurance covers 100% like yours but we did discuss dh getting a vasectomy but we would have had to pay for it cus his insurance wouldn't have. Ours was just decided by the fact of not having to pay out of pocket. Though my dad and bil both have them done and no accidents for either of them.

Also on a side note I have no idea what to expect so if anyone wants I share their experience is be greatful as well as OP cus frankly I'm a bit nervous.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Having a tubal was the worst decision I have ever made.
I lasted 15 months after mine, and had a hysterectomy on May 12th.

I don't recommend the tubal to anyone. A vasectomy is much less invasive and has fewer side effects.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

False. Vasectomies are much safer. It is an outpatient procedure done under local anesthesia. 

Tubals on the other hand, are abdominal surgery requiring general anesthesia. Complication rates are 20x higher.

Quoting kailu1835: A tubal is, by far, the safer option.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Did the dr make him give the sample at the office or at home. My husband is worried that the office may make him do it there and it will be awkard for him. 

Quoting Anonymous: My husband had a vasectomy. They test to make sure they are sterile, and advise you to use backup protection until the test shows that sperm is no longer present in the "sample". I chose not to get a tubal because my best friend's sister had an ectopic pregnancy after hers that ruptured, and she had to have an emergency hysterectomy. I know that typically issues like that are uncommon, but that just happened occur right around the time we were considering permanent birth control so it made my decision much easier.

Kat31
by AlwaysWatching on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM
A vasectomy is much safer, has less side effects, and is statistically less likely to fail.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I had a tubal 5 years ago. No problems at all. My periods are now lighter and shorter and I only need a jr tampon now. Great decision for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I had a tubal 2 years ago and I haven't had any issues at all. With that said there are a lot of women who do have complications. Do lots of research and gather all the facts on both sides then weigh your options again. Vasectomies are safer and less invasive....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I didn't do a tubal.  I refuse for a couple of reasons; 1. I had already pushed out 3 babies and had one c-section, 2. I was afraid of the issues that many women seem to have after a tubal.  The only way I might have considered it is if my last pregancy ended in a c-section.  My dh had a vasectomy.  We're only a 1 1/2 years in, but so far no unwanted pregnancies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN