Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When is it too far? A mean pet post

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM
  • 49 Replies
My husband has a 20+ year old shihtzu.

I hate this dog. Literally can't stand it.

The issues range from violent tendencies to purposely pissing in the house. Not to mention that the dog is high maintenance and my husband will not take care of him.

The violent tendencies are towards our three year old daughter. If she has a piece of food he will growl and nip at her to the point she gets scared, drops the food and runs away crying. Her also has started to get violent towards us mainly at night. He growls and nips at us when we try to feed him or do anything with him.
The pissing on the floor is what is really irritating me. I walk him often and more times than not he will not do anything outside. But the minute he comes in he lifts a leg and pisses on the carpet. We have been looking at moving to a new place that we want to buy but I am apprehensive about taking this dog to a new home because I am afraid he will inevitably destroy it.
Maintenance wise I am the only one to do anything. Brushing, bathing and clipping are done by me. His skin is so bad from licking and biting himself that he has open wounds. I treat them with antiseptics and bag balm.
I have tried talking to my husband about putting him down at the end of summer. Many of our friends and even his parents agree. We are sure that the dog is blind a partially deaf. But anytime we rig it up my husband gets defensive and doesn't want to talk about it. I think he is being selfish. The dog seems miserable and I think my husband is only prolonging the misery all because he doesn't want to lose his pet.

Any advice. Please.
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

He's 20??? I'd put him down.

sarbear8508
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM
How the hell did he live that long? That's crazy.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Put him down and tell your hubby he died.
Smh77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Ummm, selfish is one word, asshole is another. I am an animal fanatic..... But my dogs wouldn't as much as show their teeth to my children, and they'd be O. U. T.
Seriously, 20+ years? That may be a record. If it's worth your arguing, keep it up. If not, put it in a different room in the house with a baby gate. It won't last that much longer..... It can't right? Devil dog, perhaps??? .
Bird_on_a_wire
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Possibly older. He was around 16 when I strayed dating my husband. Then he was good. Nothing like he is now. I've watched him deteriorate over the 5 years we have been together.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

He's 20??? I'd put him down.

Bird_on_a_wire
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Shihtzu a have a long lifespan.

Quoting sarbear8508: How the hell did he live that long? That's crazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Umm yeah im totally with you, put the dog down.
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Dogs got to go.

grey7399
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

20 for a shih tzu isn't remarkable.

I'd take him to the vet and have his health evaluated, maybe then you'll get medical backup for the euthanasia

Bird_on_a_wire
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I think he has lived this long because he hates me lol

Quoting Smh77: Ummm, selfish is one word, asshole is another. I am an animal fanatic..... But my dogs wouldn't as much as show their teeth to my children, and they'd be O. U. T.
Seriously, 20+ years? That may be a record. If it's worth your arguing, keep it up. If not, put it in a different room in the house with a baby gate. It won't last that much longer..... It can't right? Devil dog, perhaps??? .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)