Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He killed her.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies
I don't even know where to begin. My 4yo killed our hamster :( I didn't see what happened. I was in the kitchen doing dishes when ODS started screaming at YDS. I walked into the room, and ODS told me YDS was being rough with her. I knew immediately that something was wrong, because she was completely limp. I set her in the cage, and she dragged herself to her bed and laid down. I picked up the bed and held her for about 3 minutes, and then she passed away. If I had to guess, I think her back was broken.

ODS had a complete melt down, and I had to hold him back and send him to his room, because he wanted to beat the crap out of YDS. I don't even know what to do. They don't have long lifespans, and I was fully prepared to have that kind of talk when the inevitable happened. But this? What do you tell your kids when a sibling kills a pet?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tapies2324
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Bump. Not sure what to tell you other than do not get another one!
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM
5 moms liked this
That is was an accident and then I would get him(older ds) another one and keep younger child away and not let him handle it until he is a bit older and can understand. At least that is what I'd do.

Eta- a 4 year old can comprehend that he is not allowed to touch something unless mommy is around so I honestly think getting older ds another hamster isnt the end of the world.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:24 AM
3 moms liked this
The four yr old never should have had access to the hamster. They don't fully comprehend the consequences of being too rough or how not to be too rough! You need to explain that to your ods while also explaining hot to appropriately handle his anger. You need to work with yds with supervised instruction on how to be gentle.
Kimicora
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Please do not get another one till your son can control himself. I've seen mani people just go and take no regard for animal life I saw one family go through 10 pets on 2 years.

But as for your ods I have no idea what your going to tell him but please tell him something, kids lean by influence this might instill killing is okay which it's not and I wouldn't want your ods to hurt your yds at least ground yds.
grey7399
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:28 AM
7 moms liked this

You do not get them another hamster.

You tell the youngest that its his fault the hamster is gone.  You told him to not play to rough and he did and now the hamster is gone.

YOU DO NOT GET THEM A NEW PET RIGHT AWAY.  Then you're rewarding the bad behaviour.  You point out how sad his sibling is, how upset he is and he has every right to be upset and angry at the youngest.  He broke the rules and now the hamster is gone.

You console your oldest.  You promise him that he will get his own pet - a guinea pig is a good choice but not right away.  I'm guessing 6 months, maybe 3 months so the youngest doesn't connect the new pet with replacing the deceased pet.

Have a funeral or memorial.

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:31 AM

It was an accident, little kids don't know how serious things are. That's what I would say.

mrspeterrabbit
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:34 AM
:(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:34 AM
3 moms liked this
Slap him with the hamster.
cdjd23
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:34 AM
The younger child shouldn't have access to a pet like that without supervision. I would tell the older child it was an accident but under no circumstances would I get them another pet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like the morning that the kids took the fish out to play.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)