Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Doctor won't prescribe pain meds, should I find a new one?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:55 AM
  • 101 Replies

I have been dealing with this chronic pain drama for 7 and a 1/2 years. It's from a c-section gone bad. A lot of backstory, but here is where it's at now. A year and a 1/2 ago I had surgery to try to correct the surgery. It didn't work, but they found that my uterus was attached to my bladder, and so new OBGYN wants to give me a hysterectomy. Well, when I am PMSing, the pain is so severe! I called and asked for pain meds. Her nurse called back and said she would prescribe Tramadol but I denied it because I have had a bad reaction to it before. So then she calls in a high powered anti-inflammatory, which would normally be just fine but not when I'm getting ready to start my period. So here I sit, in tears because it hurts so BAD, and I'm angry because there is nothing I can do about it. My surgery is in a little more than 2 months, and if she expects me to deal with this pain the whole time I'm thinking about just finding a new doctor. She could drug test me, anything, I don't care I'm not a junkie and I don't have an addiction. I just feel like either she is not that compassionate, or she doesn't like prescribing meds and that worries me because, is she going to make sure I'm as comfortable as possible after the surgery?

What would you do?   :(

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:56 AM

BUMP!

smurfette1903
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:57 AM
Hard call...try another doctor. Some doctors are not sympathic to their patients. I mean really would prescribing 10 pills kill her? Is wasn't like you were back for your 5th refill in three months.
redneck.crazy
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Mobile Photo

I swear by this stuff. At least it always helped me and it takes a strong med to touch my pain.

Feel better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:01 AM

I would find another doctor. There's no reason for you to be in so much pain. If you're in pain right now, go to an urgent care.  

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Thanks, I'm not sure if I can take that with the other stuff she gave me. I can only take 2 pills a day of that and I'm not supposed to take any additional ibuprofen.

Quoting redneck.crazy:

Mobile Photo

I swear by this stuff. At least it always helped me and it takes a strong med to touch my pain. Feel better.

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:02 AM

Yeah, it's pissing me off. I didn't like her personality wise but she has really high ratings, so I figured she must be a good doctor which is most important but right now I'm not feeling like she's that great.

Quoting smurfette1903: Hard call...try another doctor. Some doctors are not sympathic to their patients. I mean really would prescribing 10 pills kill her? Is wasn't like you were back for your 5th refill in three months.

jjames0991
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Doctors are getting away from prescribing narcotics more and more.  They are under fire from the government and the insurance companies.  So many people are addicted now a days and its because doctors have never been concerned.  And so many people go from doctor to doctor.  Can your primary care doctor give you something, because they know and trust you more?

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Thanks. I don't want to get out of bed, it hurts too bad:( But tomorrow I will if this continues.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would find another doctor. There's no reason for you to be in so much pain. If you're in pain right now, go to an urgent care.  

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:05 AM

That is a great idea, I have been with her since day one of this whole ordeal. She knows I'm not a junkie, lol.

Quoting jjames0991:

Doctors are getting away from prescribing narcotics more and more.  They are under fire from the government and the insurance companies.  So many people are addicted now a days and its because doctors have never been concerned.  And so many people go from doctor to doctor.  Can your primary care doctor give you something, because they know and trust you more?

jjames0991
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:06 AM

I hope it works out for you!

Quoting JackieGirl007:

That is a great idea, I have been with her since day one of this whole ordeal. She knows I'm not a junkie, lol.

Quoting jjames0991:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)