Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Using deceased child's name...good idea?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
Ok so my husband had a nephew that passed away 8 years ago. He was only 5. We are now expecting a boy and he wants to name our son after his late nephew. I like the name and all but I don't think his sister (the boy's mom) will b thrilled with this idea. What do u think of this? Should we ask her if it's ok to name our baby after her late son or should we just forget about it and find a different name? What do you think u would say if u were my husband's sister?
If you have boys or r expecting one what r u gonna name him? Just trying to get ideas. I also like the name Jackson but my husband insists on naming our son Jayden like his late nephew....
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbrown0603
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:13 AM
Why don't you ask her if you can use it as a middle name to honor her son?
mandee1503
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM
2 moms liked this
What about using it as a middle name instead? We use family names as middle names.
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM
I would definitely ask her first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Green.Ghost
by Jenn on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM

I would ask the parents out of respect or go with another name.

I have two boys. I named them Seth Aaron and Connor Elden. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this
As the mother of a dead child, I would ask her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Out of respect for your SIL ask her first.  If she isn't comfortable with this in ANY way, move on to a different name.

And BTW it also counts about how YOU feel about it.  If you don't want to, don't do it. GL.

shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM
You should definitely ask. My sister was named after my mother's deceased cousin. My great aunt loved it, so you never know!
pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:18 AM

I'd find a different name.

GryffindorsBest
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I would ask... Think about it in the long run, his sister might feel uncomfortable hearing people call out her sons name at a party or some kind of family gathering. Get her blessing before moving forward so there wont be any kind of unsettling feelings.

the_dude
by abides on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM
I have to vote no on this one. My mother was named for her older sister who died from spina bifida, around 9ms old... my mother was born 2 years after her death, one older brother before her (now deceased), and is a very troubled soul.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)