potato salad kickstarterA potato salad Kickstarter has hit the big time. What is it? Well it's a guy named Zack Brown in Ohio who launched a fundraising campaign to make potato salad with a goal of $10.

His pitch? "Basically I'm just making potato salad. I haven't decided what kind yet." And at the end of his appeal under the header "risks and challenges," he writes, "It might not be that good. It's my first potato salad."

Even though the Kickstarter rewards offered are slim and include stuff like, "I will say your name out loud while making the potato salad," to date, this dude has raised over $38,000.

Why has a man's campaign for $10 to make potato salad made people go nuts? We've got a few creamy and delicious ideas why:

1. It's not a Kardashian. Although potato salad made with a dash of Kardashians would probably be a hit too. But that family is all about cashing in on the clout of their family brand, and after being hit with ten tons of pouty selfies, there's something refreshing about throwing money at potatoes instead.

2. Potato salad is gluten-free. Don't underestimate the power of the fad.

3. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going, but the rest of the world cowers in fear and veers to the cute side. This is like the Hello Kitty of Kickstarters.

4. People will give their money over if amused for more than two seconds. There's a sucker born every minute and this is like a virtual Pet Rock.

5. Maybe people are hoping this potato salad will replace Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd on The View?

6. Crumbs bake shop recently got delisted from the NASDAQ and closed its stores. Maybe now that the cupcake fad is truly dead and gone, potato salad will be the new hotness and emporiums serving only this side dish will spring up? If this guy raises any more money, we can expect Spuds artisanal potatoeries to open up.

Do you think people are cray cray to give money to this Kickstarter, or does the guy have a potato proposition to die for?

Image via Zack Danger Brown/Kickstarter