Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I certainly wouldnt be married to a man after having his kids" crap

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 376 Replies
3 moms liked this
It's 2014. Why are some women and some on here still saying it's a shame to have kids with a man you're not married to? If you're not religious and you're not in the baby boomer generation(which most have had kids before marriage according to my parents), why make it sound so embarrassing and wrong?http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/06/for_millennials_out_of_wedlock_childbirth_is_the_norm_now_what.html

The article shows more millennial(people born after 1980) are having children out of wedlock. It's the new norm! Just like women choosing to have children via artificial insemination since they can't find a good man is the new norm too! I can understand maybe the children of the baby boomers,the generation Xers(1965-1980) are still being old fashioned and following their parent's examples, but even they shouldn't look down on the millennials. You're old enough to be our parents(I'm a millennial). Times have BEEN changed. Having babies may be expensive but it's not a like if you can't keep paying your student loans for college you have to worry about your credit going down! If you planned the child and have no desire to go to college and can afford to do this, then more power to you! Marriage is just a piece of paper. There's no law that says you must have to be married before deciding to have children. Every child is legitimate(at least here in the United States). Whether the parents are married or not! Vent over!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:10 AM
15 moms liked this
I'm a millennial as well.
I would never have a baby without being married. No, I'm not religious. It's not something I have any interest in going and I would rather be protected by law. Having a baby out of wedlock is complicated. It's not simply "this is the baby's father".
tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this

It's just a personal preference. I wouldn't have a baby outside of marriage, you might. Big deal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Some people don't even want to get married. My df was born out of wedlock.

There's no point in judging it's none of my business. I got pregnant before we were married but we'll be married when he gets here
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM
9 moms liked this

It's better for kids to have a stable family. Marriage may be falling apart, but married couples stay together at much higher rates than unmarried couples.

j3st3r
by Jedi on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Wth?

This is only minimally coherent.

I am a millennial. Marriage is much more than a piece of paper.

Who has AI because they can't find a man? Who is skipping out on loan payments (which certainly DOES screw your credit) to have a baby?

Quoting Anonymous: It's 2014. Why are some women and some on here still saying it's a shame to have kids with a man you're not married to? If you're not religious and you're not in the baby boomer generation(which most have had kids before marriage according to my parents), why make it sound so embarrassing and wrong?http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/06/for_millennials_out_of_wedlock_childbirth_is_the_norm_now_what.html

The article shows more millennial(people born after 1980) are having children out of wedlock. It's the new norm! Just like women choosing to have children via artificial insemination since they can't find a good man is the new norm too! I can understand maybe the children of the baby boomers,the generation Xers(1965-1980) are still being old fashioned and following their parent's examples, but even they shouldn't look down on the millennials. You're old enough to be our parents(I'm a millennial). Times have BEEN changed. Having babies may be expensive but it's not a like if you can't keep paying your student loans for college you have to worry about your credit going down! If you planned the child and have no desire to go to college and can afford to do this, then more power to you! Marriage is just a piece of paper. There's no law that says you must have to be married before deciding to have children. Every child is legitimate(at least here in the United States). Whether the parents are married or not! Vent over!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I wasn't married with my first not my choice he cheated but my 2 and 3 yes I was. For our family it's just how it should be
JocelynsMommy30
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM
9 moms liked this
I don't think it's just a piece of paper, My marriage is more than that! If you don't want to get married fine that's your problem but don't say it's "just a piece of paper."
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd not have a baby with a man I couldn't commit to in marriage first. I don't have a religious bone in my body either. ::shrugs::
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM
But not all families that aren't legally bound fall apart due to instability. Then you have the divorce rates climbing to think about too.

Quoting B1Bomber:

It's better for kids to have a stable family. Marriage may be falling apart, but married couples stay together at much higher rates than unmarried couples.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM
What's a millennial ?

Quoting j3st3r: Wth?

This is only minimally coherent.

I am a millennial. Marriage is much more than a piece of paper.

Who has AI because they can't find a man? Who is skipping out on loan payments (which certainly DOES screw your credit) to have a baby?

Quoting Anonymous: It's 2014. Why are some women and some on here still saying it's a shame to have kids with a man you're not married to? If you're not religious and you're not in the baby boomer generation(which most have had kids before marriage according to my parents), why make it sound so embarrassing and wrong?http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/06/for_millennials_out_of_wedlock_childbirth_is_the_norm_now_what.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)