Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about custody?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
I don't have any experience in that but I am wondering something.

My brother has a new gf who has 2 kids but doesn't have custody of one. She told us the dad took custody away from her simply because he has "money". I mean she says he owns a fast food place but it doesn't seem like he's beyond rich to me. Also she only sees him once a week and it's supervised.

Does that make any sense? Can a mom get custody away simply because the dad has more money? I just think theirs more to this story.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Could he get primary custody because he has money (and a good lawyer with that money)? Sure.

Would his money be the reason why she only has supervised visits? NO. There's something bigger there.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM

You don't get supervised visitation unless you've done something wrong....as in she hurt the child in some way or is crazy unstable. Look up your state's county court records and see what you can find on her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM
The whole supervised visit is what doesn't make sense to me. Also it's only for an hour but I feel it's something more.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Could he get primary custody because he has money (and a good lawyer with that money)? Sure.

Would his money be the reason why she only has supervised visits? NO. There's something bigger there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
That's what I thought but I'm clueless about custody situations. I'm going to look into it I wouldn't want my brother with a crazy person.

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't get supervised visitation unless you've done something wrong....as in she hurt the child in some way or is crazy unstable. Look up your state's county court records and see what you can find on her.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Well, more money does equal a better lawyer so he could feasibly win custody but it's almost impossible for you to get someone on supervised visits without a ton of evidence of something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh ok i see. I mean it makes sense that you can get a better lawyer I didn't think about that.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Well, more money does equal a better lawyer so he could feasibly win custody but it's almost impossible for you to get someone on supervised visits without a ton of evidence of something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I absolutely know people who've used their money to buy better lawyers to get custody. Or even just threaten with money (SO's aunt freely admitted that she told her ex my parents will pay for my lawyer and I will bury you in legal fees if you try to take the kids. Made me real happy to have kids in that family)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I hate to admit it but I know for a fact that when my daughter & her husband were getting divorced & figuring out custody, I know at one point she flat out told him that her family had more money to fight than his.

Quoting Anonymous: I absolutely know people who've used their money to buy better lawyers to get custody. Or even just threaten with money (SO's aunt freely admitted that she told her ex my parents will pay for my lawyer and I will bury you in legal fees if you try to take the kids. Made me real happy to have kids in that family)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Oh wow that's sad if you're a really good parent and someone can take your kid simply because they have more money than you.

Quoting Anonymous: I absolutely know people who've used their money to buy better lawyers to get custody. Or even just threaten with money (SO's aunt freely admitted that she told her ex my parents will pay for my lawyer and I will bury you in legal fees if you try to take the kids. Made me real happy to have kids in that family)
ladybugchick317
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM

If it were just money I don't think that it would be supervised visits. There has to be more to the story. You have to have a valid reason for supervised even if you do have money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)