Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is schizophrenia.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

I found this interesting.  Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Nope, nope, nope, couldn't watch it. I have first hand experience with psychosis.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I couldn't finish watching it. That has got to be HELL.
Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I've seen my child struggle with this, it's heartbreaking
Missdameanor
by Not-a-felony on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I have always thought this is what it must be like, interesting and thanks for sharing!
elfling811
by Niki on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Yep. It is very hard to focus when that is going on. Too bad they can't figure out a way for people to experience both visual and auditory hallucinations. That is when the real fun starts.
Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Ugh, tell me about it. My sons last episode was both visual and auditory. He was seeing bugs and hearing voices telling him the bugs were in his brain😥

Quoting elfling811: Yep. It is very hard to focus when that is going on. Too bad they can't figure out a way for people to experience both visual and auditory hallucinations. That is when the real fun starts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Wow I never knew they had to go through this, that is horrible . Thanks OP for posting this, it's very informative an it offers a perspective from the person that has scitzophrenia .
elfling811
by Niki on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Poor baby 😢

It has been a while since I had visuals, but the auditory is always with me. But, I have bipolar with psychosis, not schizophrenia apparently. I think I fit schizoaffective better, but I am not a psychiatrist.

Bugs seem to be pretty common from the people I know who have the visual hallucinations. I have had the bug visions too. DH came home one night from work about 10 years ago to find me coating every surface in the house with Raid. I had a nice little vacation after that incident. It sucked.

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: Ugh, tell me about it. My sons last episode was both visual and auditory. He was seeing bugs and hearing voices telling him the bugs were in his brain😥

Quoting elfling811: Yep. It is very hard to focus when that is going on. Too bad they can't figure out a way for people to experience both visual and auditory hallucinations. That is when the real fun starts.
irishstarz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM
My biological mother is a schizophrenic with psychosis, who has refused treatment my entire life. I'll pass.
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

That is one aspect of schizophrenia, but there are also others.

I think it is extremely important for everyone, especially police, to realize that a psychotic person often can't even HEAR what 'orders' police are giving, let alone make sense of them or comply with them.   I would like every policeman in the US to go through that simulator.

We did an exercise much like this in our NAMI family to family class.

Our assignment was to draw a VERY simple figure on a piece of paper, from reading directions on a piece of paper we were given.  

IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE.   NO ONE could draw the figure accurately with six people standing behind them saying at various volumes, 'YOU SHOULD DIE!'  'YOU'RE WORTHLESS!'  'THEY'RE GONNA EAT YOU!'

And yes, most of the time, voices are unpleasant.   Sometimes they're just nonsensical (like hearing multiple voices scream over and over, 'Tutti fruiti!')  

But even when they are pleasant they are extremely disruptive to anything you're trying to do.  

I have often had the experience of going up to a person with schizophrenia to ask them a question and hearing them say, 'For GOD'S SAKE, shut UP a second so I can talk to this person!!!!'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)