Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ladies I really need your help!!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM
  • 11 Replies
Long story short.. I started watching 2 children, the little girl is almost 1 and little boy is almost 2. I have a 4 year old DS. The 2 little ones mom died in a car accident about a month and a half ago. They are being raised by their father. The 2 year old is calling me mom (I'm assuming from hearing DS say it) I have been telling him my name after but he just calls me mom. I'm assuming he is just copying DS but any other ways to handle it? Or do I just let it go because he is so little?
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd speak to their father and keep encouraging the LO to use your name.
JennJenn85
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

sorry I have no advice but heres a bump :)

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I would keep saying My name is .............. silly. Also let his dad know.

corazonsito101
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I think u should just let it go, my friends little girl calls me mama lol I just go with it
LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I agree with this.  Make sure it is clear to the father that the child is copying your son.

I know someone who worked at a preschool and her granddaughter was there.  Soon, all the kids in the preschool started calling this woman "Grandma" because her granddaughter did. 

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'd speak to their father and keep encouraging the LO to use your name.

Mom-to-2kids
by Emerald Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:54 AM

i would let the dad know. and keep reminding little one of your name. so heartbreaking for that family :(

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Talk to his dad. And sit him down and explain you are not mom and he needs to call you your name. Also maybe have him come up with a special nickname for you that only he gets to call you.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM

How heartbreaking. Like the others have said, I'd keep reinforcing your name to them; bring it up with the father.

seksen
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Thanks ladies for the advice!
Bieg9093
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Enlist the help of your son.  Ask him to add your first name to "Mommy."  So, "Mommy Sue" or "Mommy Shelly."  The littles should catch on pretty quickly, and it's an alternative that should satisfy both the adults and the child.

Because while I agree that calling you Mommy is best discouraged, don't discount the fact that the child probably takes comfort in having a new "mommy."  It's a good thing and I'd let him have his 2 year old concept of it.  As he gets older, his name for you will probably evolve appropriately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN