Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Forgotten baby syndrome may explain why parents leave kids in hot car!?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 207 Replies
2 moms liked this

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/local/forgotten-baby-syndrome-may-explain-why-parents-le/ngcTZ/

PLEASE! Im so sick and tired of everybody useing some short of "syndrome" or disorder to get out of acting like a desent person!

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. —

So far this year, 16 children have died in hot cars nationwide, including two in Florida. In Northeast Florida, two children are recovering after being rescued from hot cars. The incidents happened just two days apart, in both cases the parents are facing neglect charges.

Clinical psychologist Dr. Lynn Wadelton of First Coast Therapy Group said this can happen to any family.

"It's called forgotten baby syndrome," said Wadelton. 

Wadelton said it happens it mostly happens to people when it comes to minor details like forgetting to pick up the dry-cleaners. But the unfortunate mistake or lapse of memory could have deadly consequences.

"What happens is you have this type of memory that as soon as it realizes you're doing something very familiar, it kicks into autopilot," said Wadelton. "Your brain will not allow you to remember the new material of 'I want to stop and do XYZ thing' cause your autopilot kicks in to be so efficient." 

But the syndrome can be prevented by helping your brain remember.

"We call it the baby shoe formula leave a baby's shoe right in the front seat so you see it and notice it," said Wadelton.

Wadelton said other tricks include leaving your purse or briefcase in the back seat next to your child.

- See more at: http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/local/forgotten-baby-syndrome-may-explain-why-parents-le/ngcTZ/#sthash.3yS5ZOlP.dpuf/

by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kennas-mama13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM
54 moms liked this
Nope. I'm not buying it. There is NO reason for "forgetting" a child in a hot car that's called stupidity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM
22 moms liked this
Now it's a syndrome? Give me a break. People need to quit creating made up diseases or syndromes to make themselves feel better. Gross.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM
4 moms liked this
Syndrome my ass. It's caused by parents being bad caregivers.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM
6 moms liked this
You have a doctorate in psychology? Why aren't you writing g conflicting journal articles, peer reviews, and weighing in with the media then?

Quoting kennas-mama13: Nope. I'm not buying it. There is NO reason for "forgetting" a child in a hot car that's called stupidity.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
12 moms liked this
Not understanding HOW it happens and acknowledging that it does happen to people who do love their children is harmful. More knowledge and attention to the mattet prevents these things from happening.
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM
14 moms liked this
--" comparing dry cleaner and keys to a child......
No, i still look down on your ass if you lock your 3month old in a car for hours.
AutumnRunner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM
9 moms liked this
To me is not even about forgetting. How do you not see or hear your kids? Do you never look in the rear view mirror while driving or glance in the back seat when getting out? Do you never talk to your kids while driving?
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM
16 moms liked this

It does happen. It happens more to sleep deprived parents who have a change in routine.  Like the dad who never takes the kid to daycare and does one morning and he's distracted by a big meeting so he's in auto pilot the whole way to work.   That is why we need a national standard with all car seats to have an alarm when there is a child in it and the ignition turns off.  We didn't get airbags standard until it was legislated by Congress.  This would be a simple fix and something easy to install.  It never happened to me, but I was a SAHM so if I was sleep deprived, we napped instead of going out.  

MsEmma88
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM
4 moms liked this
I do know that autopilot mode. Sometimes driving home I dont actually remember the events leading up to me pulling into the community where I live. However I have never been on autopilot so far as to forget that my children were in the car with me.
Hoppers33
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I wonder this, too. I'm 5' tall and drive a huge SUV, but I still see in the backseat in my peripheral vision when I get out. It's not even being the perfect mommy type, I just simply cannot miss seeing the large car seat in the backseat. I realize not everyone is like me, but I just find it hard to understand.

Quoting AutumnRunner: To me is not even about forgetting. How do you not see or hear your kids? Do you never look in the rear view mirror while driving or glance in the back seat when getting out? Do you never talk to your kids while driving?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)