Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My niece turned down a full scholarship to a Christian college...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 278 Replies
My niece is 18 and was homeschooled. Her parents only allowed her to apply to Christian bible colleges, but she went behind their backs and applied to public colleges in our state. She was accepted with a 100% scholarship to a Christian Bible college and her parents were thrilled. However, she told them that she is not going there, and is going to a public college where she'll need to take out a loan of about 5,000/year, what the scholarship there doesn't cover.

Essentially, she told them she's sick of living under such strict rules and doesn't believe as they do, and doesn't want 4 years of "curfews and ridiculous rules" at a Christian college, she wants a typical dorm college experience. My brother and SIL are devastated. They've already spoken to the Christian college about the situation and they said they'd hold her place.

What would you do if you were them? Would you be angry at your child for taking on so much debt for a reason like that?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shadowed_Star
by Neko‚̧Wolf on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM
59 moms liked this
Good For Her! Go random girl Go!
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would I be angry? It's her life and her debt and as a Christian, I don't blame her one bit.

j3st3r
by Jedi on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
4 moms liked this
It's her college experience, her education, and her future.

It's also absolutely her choice.
sonic_pond_song
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
8 moms liked this
I would allow my child to make their own decision on college, especially if I wasn't funding it. Since her parents aren't paying for her education, they have no say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
17 moms liked this
Not much they can do. This is what happens when you are too strict. Rebellion.

Frankly I think she sounds awesome.
jessablessa
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
4 moms liked this
I would never allow my child to go to a christian college in the first place. If she doesn't want to go they shouldn't make her or force their beliefs on her.
CameraMum
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this
She's 18 and does not want to attend that school, let her pick the school she wants to go to and apply for student loans. She can be finically responsible from that point.

The school can give the scholarship to someone who actually wants to us it.
xoch86
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

They should respect her wishes. She doesn't believe as they do, and like she said, 5 grand a year to not have to endure 4 more years of torture is a price well paid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM
6 moms liked this
The practical and financially responsible part of me would cringe at the idea of taking on debt, especially when it's unnecessary like that. But the part of me that was raised in an oppressive Christian home like that is proud of this girl's "balls"!! Good for her for taking control of her life.
My husband turned down a full ride scholarship to a Christian university, he has no regrets. And he never needed to go into debt for school either, he just worked really hard.
Tuned.Out
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I would encourage my child to pursue the education, future and life they wish to pursue. Not the one that I want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)