Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SD just got her period.

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM
  • 275 Replies
2 moms liked this

And has locked herself in the bathroom having a panic attack. She won't let me give her tampons or anything, she is just sitting in there having a meltdown. DH is still at work and I'm trying to be understanding but I am losing my patience's over something as simple as a period being made such a circus over.

wwyd?

SD is 9.

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:32 AM
6 moms liked this
Wow you sound so cold :( did she even know about it? ?? She is only 9!! And tampons for a 9 year old???
booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM
4 moms liked this
It's frightening, for someone that young. Have you discussed this with her before? Does she know what is happening? Does she have an anxiety disorder? Any abuse in her past? Try to stay calm, talk her through it, give her some space if she asks. The worst thing you can do is lose your patience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM
3 moms liked this
What is wrong with tampons?

Quoting Anonymous: Wow you sound so cold :( did she even know about it? ?? She is only 9!! And tampons for a 9 year old???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dancer
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:34 AM
11 moms liked this

That is really young to have a period.  Give her a pad not a tampon.  No girl wants to stick that thing up her vagina!  Pads are more comfy and period friendly.  I would freak to if you tried to give me a stick to stick inside myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I dont know, just wouldn't think a 9 year old would be comfortable with them. .

Quoting booaura: What is wrong with tampons?

Quoting Anonymous: Wow you sound so cold :( did she even know about it? ?? She is only 9!! And tampons for a 9 year old???
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM
6 moms liked this
I'd probably lose my patience as well. If I were you I'd give her some pads (not tampons right now because she probably doesn't know how to use them) and then leave her be. Remember her hormones are going crazy and she hasn't yet learned to control them...hell grown women can't always control them let alone a 9 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyStarLight
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM
7 moms liked this
For a 9yr old a tampon? Really
She is too young for that in my opinion
Does she know what is happening to her body?
Give her space
I would have a talk with her or call her mother
over
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM
I knew all about puberty, sex and many other things NOT on your average sex ed curriculum and I was still slightly freaked out when I got my period at 14. It could be very heavy, mine was and it shocked me. I didn't know how to deal with it and my mum made it worse by yelling at me for not wanting her help with the pads.

Get some PADS, NOT TAMPONS and leave them at the bathroom door. Twll her where you'll be when you need her and just walk away.
booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I loved them. So much easier, cleaner, and more comfortable than pads.

Quoting Anonymous: I dont know, just wouldn't think a 9 year old would be comfortable with them. .

Quoting booaura: What is wrong with tampons?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM

No past history of abuse or known anxiety problems.

I am assuming that she has some idea what is happening; her mom just had a baby and her sister is currently pregnant and that took some explaining, though I personally have never explained to her this kind of stuff.

I'm trying really hard not to lose my patience but she is being completely ridiculous and it is much to early for this. I will happily give her space, but I am not comfortable leaving her without sanitary supplies.

Quoting booaura: It's frightening, for someone that young. Have you discussed this with her before? Does she know what is happening? Does she have an anxiety disorder? Any abuse in her past? Try to stay calm, talk her through it, give her some space if she asks. The worst thing you can do is lose your patience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN