Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Midwife or obstetrician?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 76 Replies
Which do/would you choose and why?
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM
I've done a ob with both my pregnancies. Two different Dr's and both pushed interventions and pain meds. If you are 100% sure you wanna go natural go with a midwife. If your not sure then go with an ob. With my next pregnancy I will be going with a midwife in a birthing center because I wanna go natural.
yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM
That's awesome that you want a natural birth :) I would choose a midwife as well..I'm just curious what others think.

Quoting Mommynwife26: I've done a ob with both my pregnancies. Two different Dr's and both pushed interventions and pain meds. If you are 100% sure you wanna go natural go with a midwife. If your not sure then go with an ob. With my next pregnancy I will be going with a midwife in a birthing center because I wanna go natural.
LMomma2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM
I had an ob, loved her, she did whatever I wanted to do as long as we weren't at any risk. Most times, its hard to fibd an ob like that. I am wanting to attend a midwife program when I graduate nursing school, and would strongly suggest a midwife if you don't want any meds or intervention
yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Yes, there can be some very good obs out there.

Quoting LMomma2012: I had an ob, loved her, she did whatever I wanted to do as long as we weren't at any risk. Most times, its hard to fibd an ob like that. I am wanting to attend a midwife program when I graduate nursing school, and would strongly suggest a midwife if you don't want any meds or intervention
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM

OB, I figured if I was gonna pay for an OB and a hospital delivery, there was no need for a midwife.  I was perfectly fine without a midwife.  

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Midwife. 

Had my first child with an OBGYN and thought that was nice.  Then I had my second with a midwife at a birthing center.  I can't tell you how much better I liked it.  Before I felt like another patient, but with the midwife I felt like she cared more and was in the trenches of the pregnancy and labor with me. 

I'm due with my 3rd in the next month or so and I'm excited about the birthing center again. 

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Midwives are better. More personal, typically don't push for unneeded interventions and listen to you. They don't have the "I am a doctor and know more than you" arrogance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I've had an OB with all of my pregnancies, a midwife wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole.  lol  First pregnancy was an identical twin pregnancy where the babies were in seperate sacks, yet shared a placenta and had a condition called twin to twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS).  They were micropreemies who didn't survive.  My second pregnancy was also a twin pregnancy where one twin died early on and was absorbed.  This pregnancy also resulted in a a preterm delivery.  My third pregnancy was so uneventful that we celebrated with cupcakes at my 36 week check up.  I didn't make my 37 week check up. 

I really loved my OB and the practice.  They let me labor how I wanted.  Yes, I'm the crazy lady who walked during labor and didn't have any drugs for her deliveries.  My twins were delivered in the OR just in case they had to knock me out, baby B was transverse (sideways) and they feared the he wouldn't turn.  Luckily he turned and I was able to deliver both vaginally.  I was more afraid of having a needle stuck in my back than I was of labor pain and the thought of a C-section absolutely sent me into panic mode.  I'm very lucky that my doctor understood that and worked with me to avoid the things that I feared the most.

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Wow. Thank you for sharing that. I'm sorry about your first pregnancy. Yeah, midwives are more for the low risk mothers. And it's so nice to find an ob that lets you have so many options when that is all you can get is an ob :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I've had an OB with all of my pregnancies, a midwife wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole.  lol  First pregnancy was an identical twin pregnancy where the babies were in seperate sacks, yet shared a placenta and had a condition called twin to twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS).  They were micropreemies who didn't survive.  My second pregnancy was also a twin pregnancy where one twin died early on and was absorbed.  This pregnancy also resulted in a a preterm delivery.  My third pregnancy was so uneventful that we celebrated with cupcakes at my 36 week check up.  I didn't make my 37 week check up. 

I really loved my OB and the practice.  They let me labor how I wanted.  Yes, I'm the crazy lady who walked during labor and didn't have any drugs for her deliveries.  My twins were delivered in the OR just in case they had to knock me out, baby B was transverse (sideways) and they feared the he wouldn't turn.  Luckily he turned and I was able to deliver both vaginally.  I was more afraid of having a needle stuck in my back than I was of labor pain and the thought of a C-section absolutely sent me into panic mode.  I'm very lucky that my doctor understood that and worked with me to avoid the things that I feared the most.

HamsterandCow
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM
I had 3 different OB with my 3 kids. My first was GREAT but then I had to move. My 2nd-I just knew there was something wrong there-turns out he had a brain tumor and his nurses were covering for him!!!! The 3rd was an idiot. I had gestational diabetes with the first 2 so I had to use an OB and I was "Advanced Maternal Age" with my 3rd so I required an OB. I would've preferred a midwife with my 2nd and 3rd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN