Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone in their child's PTA?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 54 Replies

I am the secretary of my DD PTA. We are a very small school with around 400 students. We try to make the best out of the opportunities we have to give the kids a good time. However, we are struggling with ways to get parents to join or even volunteer. Last year we just asked if each parent could volunteer for 1 hour all year. We also offer the option to buy a golden ticket. It gets the child into all events for the year and its $20. Some of the activities we have are:

Purse bingo, Its $18 for 18 games. Comicon party for $10 per person, Free skate party's with $1 skate rentals, Movie nights free but we charge for concessions, Color run its free but we ask for parents to find a sponsor for each child who will donate 50 cents-$1 per lap. Carnival $3 for a game pass. We also do a santas shop for christmas every year. With gifts from 25 cents to $10

Our budget this year is $7000 and most of it was raised from Wendy's spirit nights or Sweet frog spirit night. So my question is, what do you do to help recruit members and volunteers? And what do you find is the most profitable way to make money for your child's school?

I am planning on doing some bake sales at Walmart this year, and also having our students make their own field day t-shirts in class. These I am hoping will help us bring the bar up. As $7000 seems like a lot of money, once we are done hiring acts, paying vendors, and the cost of decorations, the price becomes over whelming.  Thanks in advance. 

Heres some images from our comicon party this past year:

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:53 PM
I use to be but I quit. Could not stand the drama
kbntaej
by Josephine on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump for responses! My oldest is not yet in kindergarten but I will absolutely be a PTA mom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Is that $7000 for fund raising or for activities in general.
Dannygirl25
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I do not have the time or patience to deal with the catty clickish group that is the pta at my childs school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I have considered joining the PTO this coming school year.  But I'm a grandparent (age 65) raising grandchildren (this year going into the 4th and 5th grades) and obviously old enough to be the parent of all the other members. They are extremely cliquish and I'm not sure I will "fit it".

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM
I volunteer a lot but I don't do PTA. Here's a bump for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Check out Race for Education.  Our elementary school (about 350 families) did this and raised about $30,000 (before expenses) the first year.  It is heavy on volunteers, but if you have a good group of folks, it can be quite profitable.  The first year you have to pay the organization (RFE) to use their sytem, after the first year, you don't have to pay that fee any longer.  I know a catholic school that does this every year and consistently raised $35,000 + (gross) every year.  Good luck.

KykysMomma1128
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:10 PM

$7000 is the amount we raised all year last year through our fundraisers and its what we have available this year to spend on our activities. 

Quoting Anonymous: Is that $7000 for fund raising or for activities in general.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm the P and the T. Our PTA gives teacher grants of up to $1000. Heck yeah I'm gonna support that!!
Sportbominable
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Ours is called Home and School Association and I do belong to it. We never have trouble getting volunteers, but its usually always the same people. We are a private Catholic K-8 school and have around 500 students. We offer free tuition for the following year if you go to every H & S meeting and then there is a drawing at the last meeting. Also, some events are free or discounted if you go to meetings and every meeting you attend, your children get a NUT pass (which is a dress down day card) Since the kids wear uniforms, they love having a free pass to dress down at school one day. 

There is also a volunteer luncheon at the end of the school year for all school volunteers: lunch monitors, event helpers, school play volunteers, etc... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)