Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your kid is FAT!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 84 Replies

Poll

Question: Which way are you leaning?

Options:

They can control the schools but not my house

They should not control either I have a right to personal choice

They should control both the schools and my choices at stores

I don't care either way

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 152

View Results

So there has been some debate over how much the government here in America really should have over our food choices and the childhood obesity epidemic. There is no argument that this is a growing problem (no pun intended) but there are some colliding views. For those that don't know, or haven't paid attention or are from other countries here is the basic run down. Should there be limits on size of sugary drinks sold in gas stations and restaurants? School lunch overhaul including allowing more children into the free lunch program at a 4.4 billion dollar price tag? Limiting what grocery stores sell? Controlling what commercials are allowed to use to advertise? and the list continues. So where do you sit?

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/majority-sees-role-for-government-in-reducing-childhood-obesity/

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Other.

IF someone is on welfare (FS, WIC) they should be allowed only certain, healthy items (WIC basically does that now).  You should not be allowed to buy candy or soda with it.

Schools should only have healthy choice so whether you buy or the Govt. feeds your kids they are getting healthy food.

If you are relying on other people to feed you THEY should have the say in what THEY buy.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Assuming you pay for all food yourself, do you feel that the government has a right to limit the size of a soda you buy? Or to take your favorite Little Debbie cakes off the shelf? Can they tell you what you can and cannot send your children to school with? Where does that line get drawn?

Quoting Elyce225:

Other.

IF someone is on welfare (FS, WIC) they should be allowed only certain, healthy items (WIC basically does that now).  You should not be allowed to buy candy or soda with it.

Schools should only have healthy choice so whether you buy or the Govt. feeds your kids they are getting healthy food.

If you are relying on other people to feed you THEY should have the say in what THEY buy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they should ban all that nasty shit. Anything with empty calories and no nutritional value. No one needs it at all.
AvantGardener
by Song Bird on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I don't know how I feel about it. I think there should be more regulation as far as information. GMO's labeled and so forth. I think something should have a certain amount of nutrients in it to be able to be called a food. I agree that if you can't fund your own health care, that healthy options should be the base of your diet.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Duh I forgot to put that part in, I was saying it in my head but didn't write it out, lol.

If you are solely the one purchasing your food I don't think the Govt has any right in censoring what you buy.  I wouldn't be against the Govt raising the standards of the food though (we all know that won't happen).  Monsanto etc.  The school decision on what can and can not be brought in should be state to state or even county to county.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Assuming you pay for all food yourself, do you feel that the government has a right to limit the size of a soda you buy? Or to take your favorite Little Debbie cakes off the shelf? Can they tell you what you can and cannot send your children to school with? Where does that line get drawn?

Quoting Elyce225:

Other.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM
I think a bigger problem lies in what foods the government subsidizes which in turn is what is cheap and available.
JTROX
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If food is being purchased w/ fs, govt money, govt should have a say.

If personal money, I'd go by the "my body, my choice" anthem.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I believe there is majority support for better labeling. Do you feel that if you want to eat a twinkie or drink a coke that you have that right? Or if you don't feel like exercising? I am not arguing, just asking questions. 

Quoting AvantGardener:

I don't know how I feel about it. I think there should be more regulation as far as information. GMO's labeled and so forth. I think something should have a certain amount of nutrients in it to be able to be called a food. I agree that if you can't fund your own health care, that healthy options should be the base of your diet.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I agree but that is a different topic. 

Quoting Anonymous: I think a bigger problem lies in what foods the government subsidizes which in turn is what is cheap and available.

AvantGardener
by Song Bird on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a good question. I don't think it's so much about the individual rights of the person as it is the rights of the manufacturer. I could eat bird shit in my lawn with out legal penalty, but can I box it up and sell it as food to other people is the real question. 

Quoting MedicMommy2:

I believe there is majority support for better labeling. Do you feel that if you want to eat a twinkie or drink a coke that you have that right? Or if you don't feel like exercising? I am not arguing, just asking questions. 

Quoting AvantGardener:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)