Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OH MY GOD WHYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM
  • 137 Replies
8 moms liked this

My 2 year old has entered the "I want to do it myself" phase. She just started this a few days ago. I put her in the carseat and start trying to buckle her. She grabs the tether and starts trying to shove the buckle together. Of course, the two sides of the buckle don't even touch. "Let me help, baby." 

"*squeal* Nooooo, mommy! I do it!" So I wait. 

"Baby, we're going to be late."

"Noooo, mommy! I do it!" So I wait again. She's not even close. So I get fed up.

"Ok, Molly. We really need to go." I buckle her carseat and she squeals and I have to listen to her have a tantrum the entire way. 

This morning, she decides she wants to pick out her dress for church. No problem. She picks a winter dress. Yes, it's pretty and it has snowflakes on it but it is made of velvet-ish materiel and it makes me sweat just looking at it. It is 93 degrees. I don't want my baby to die of heat stroke. "No Molly. It's too hot for that dress. How about the pretty pink and yellow one or the red one with the flowers?" Finally she decides on her watermelon sundress. 

"I dress myself!" *sigh*. 

"Ok fine." She puts her head through the sleeve and then I help her fix it and then she ends up putting it on backwards and squeals when I fix it. Then she wants to carry the diaper bag, which weighs more than she does, and she wants to open the door that she is too short to lift and then hold her own plate at Golden Corral and oh my God does this phase ever end? 

Lol, I'm a teacher. I know about these developmental milestones and how important they are and whatnot. This is my second toddler and I've got at least one more to go through it with so this shouldn't be a surprise but *sigh* it would be really nice not to have an argument because I want her buckled in properly and I want her dress on right and I don't want food spilled all over the restaurant floor. Oh well. I guess this is what I signed up for when I decided to have kids. 

"Have kids" they said. "It will be FUN!" they said. I think my mother does this shit on purpose. 

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my.sonshine
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
lol. try getting ready a little bit earlier so you can have the time to wait on her. my 2 year old is also in this phase.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Lol oh great. That's what I have to look forward to next year?
jenesis509
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine in this phase! I cried when it started called my mom and cried Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM
19 moms liked this

Ok.... here is how you deal with that:

1) you are such a smart girl that you know how... you be the teacher and tell mommy how to do it (then you do it)

2) you are such a big girl... show mommy's hands how to do it (her hands on yours or your hands on hers)

better to feed into it but get it done rather than to have a battle of wills

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. Yeah that's a tough stage.
JTE11
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I don't know when it ends because my DD is three and a half and it's STILL going on. Only she insists on doing things herself and then screams "I CAN'T DOOOOOO IT!!!!" and falls to the floor in a heap of tears and angst that rivals any teenager.  I just grit my teeth and let her have a go at whatever it is she wants to do, then I do it for her while she's sobbing in a heap. I have to listen to a lot of crying about it but oh well. If I let her do everything, nothing would ever get done. I totally hear you, mama.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL fun times!

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I guess that's what we're going to have to do. That's what we had to do with my oldest too. 

It's a great phase, isn't it? My ECE teacher always said it was an essential developmental milestone. She also said it was a pain in the butt.

Quoting my.sonshine: lol. try getting ready a little bit earlier so you can have the time to wait on her. my 2 year old is also in this phase.

LalasMommy1125
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM

LOL! When dd hit this phase I called my mom crying and she laughed lol

Quoting jenesis509: Mine in this phase! I cried when it started called my mom and cried Lol.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM
3 moms liked this

That's actually a briliant idea. I never thought of that. Just a minute ago, she was playing on the floor with my 6 month old and tells me he's stinky. Then I pick him up and start to change him and she says "No mommy! I do it!" No. No. We still want your brother alive at the end of his diaper change. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok.... here is how you deal with that:

1) you are such a smart girl that you know how... you be the teacher and tell mommy how to do it (then you do it)

2) you are such a big girl... show mommy's hands how to do it (her hands on yours or your hands on hers)

better to feed into it but get it done rather than to have a battle of wills

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN