Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what's wrong with it?!!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this
Seriously... What is wrong with cooking_/eating healthy??
My in laws are here this week. Yesterday they asked dh if we had coke he said no. My mil looked at him like were crazy. Today at the store she asked if we had chips. I told her no because we don't buy that stuff. Just a bit ago she was telling dh she was making something for him for his birthday (idr what) and said that she knows I won't cook it or something like that. And we got on to the topic of veggies which she said she doesn't eat and I said dh only eats coen or canned green beans. And she said I don't cook green beans right >.< apparently you have to put a big spoon of butter, bacon pieces, bacon grease salt and pepper on green beans. I just looked at her and said no, that's not how I cook or how we eat here no one needs that extra salt or butter or heck bacon grease for that matter.
Last week my aunt was saying something about us only allowing them a certain amount of juice and candy/junk. And my mom has chimed in about certain things (but yet won't let her kids have candy, chips, juice, etc and says she won't make hamburger helper cause of the sodium lol)

Now don't get me wrong we are not 100% healthy we do have sweets every so often and the kids can have 1-2 pieces of candy or something a week but when I cook meals its usually healthy things. My mil is determined to give my kids crap for the next week/ she gave my youngest freaking soda with breakfast this morning while I was out of the room. Wtf?!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM

oh goodness.  The generation wars.  I remember growing up through those.   Dad would limit us to 1 can of soda  a day AT MOST and when we were at others houses we had free reign over any food or drink (not alcohol) in the kitchen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Some people always have soda and chips in their house, on demand. To me and you it may seem weird and wasteful, but it's their normal, and some people automatically assume their normal IS normal. Ergo, you are weird and a little wrong.

I would be livid if someone gave my three year old soda, I limit juice even. The feeding my kids things I don't allow would be an issue for me as well. Let her know that she is welcome at your home, always but the rules of the house need to be followed, no exceptions. If she is uncomfortable with following that rule you can provide her the name of a nice hotel.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM

My (very overweight ex-step father) loved to make fun of our healthy life style.  However, when he visited I would buy some sort of soda, chips, etc for him to have.  Just a little bit.  My kids were allowed a little treat with the grandparents.  The grandparents were happy and the kids thought it was really cool that they got these things with grandma and grandpa.  Heck, they only visited once a year and my kids ate healthy the rest of the year.

However, then never gave my kids soda with breakfast... that is just gross.

Foolynroo2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM
4 moms liked this

It won't kill you to offer your guests a soda, or chips or that the grandparents on occasion spoil your kids, or cook your DH something not so healthy for his birthday.

Stop getting into a pissing contest with his mother.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with eating healthy foods, but it would be gracious to stock some things that you know your guests are accustomed to and enjoy. And while annoying, grandma giving the kids sweets isnt a battle I see as worth fighting.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM
She is a grandma, and their main purpose is to spoil their grandchildren. That being said, she is wrong to push do hard in your own home. If she is just visiting for a little bit maybe compromise with her a little? Let her indulge the kiddos just a bit? It wouldn't destroy them or their eating habits and would make all of them happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM
My bff's parents were health nuts to, so when she finally got out of their house our freshmen year of college she put on 120lbs.

Sometimes it backfires.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM
If you have sweets/junk every so often now is the time. Pick up a bag of chips and some coke for your inlaws.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Normally we get along GREAT. this is the only issue I have with her tbh. Which I'm thankful for. BUT when you're giving my 1 yr old soda... That is a big issue with me

Quoting frndlyfn:

oh goodness.  The generation wars.  I remember growing up through those.   Dad would limit us to 1 can of soda  a day AT MOST and when we were at others houses we had free reign over any food or drink (not alcohol) in the kitchen.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Th is. I went and bought junk food and soda bc my15yo niece is here for a week lol

Quoting thenameshailie:

There is nothing wrong with eating healthy foods, but it would be gracious to stock some things that you know your guests are accustomed to and enjoy. And while annoying, grandma giving the kids sweets isnt a battle I see as worth fighting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)