Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

New Mom Charged With Drug 'Assault' on Fetus

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
Monroe County Sheriff's Office
Mallory Loyola, 26, was arrested this week after both she and her newborn infant tested positive for meth, according to ABC News affiliate WATE-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee. Loyola is the first person in the state to prosecuted for the offense.

What do you think of the law?

Link to the article

http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-charged-controversial-law-criminalizes-drug-pregnancy/story?id=24542754
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:42 AM
With the amount of meconium drug screens I have come back with multiple positives, I'm so for it.

It's sickening.

Oh, and the mommas usually say they're clean. Smh.
booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:44 AM
2 moms liked this
That is ridiculous. She should be charged with illegal drug use, but not assualt. That gives a fetus personhood and protections, and that is a slippery slope, and wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:48 AM
In the article it explains the child must be born addicted or have been injured by the use.

Quoting booaura: That is ridiculous. She should be charged with illegal drug use, but not assualt. That gives a fetus personhood and protections, and that is a slippery slope, and wrong.
booaura
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:50 AM
Still ridiculous. It wasn't born when the damage happened.

Quoting Anonymous: In the article it explains the child must be born addicted or have been injured by the use.

Quoting booaura: That is ridiculous. She should be charged with illegal drug use, but not assualt. That gives a fetus personhood and protections, and that is a slippery slope, and wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree with the law only because I think it will discourage pregnant women from getting help.

So, say a meth user finds out she's 16 weeks pregnant and she's one who wants to get off the drugs for her baby. Will she go get help to kick her habit and get clean or will she be too afraid to do so becuase that would be admitting to assault on her fetus and she might be charged?

So, IMO, it could result in more prolonged exposure and worse effects for some babies.

In general, I don't think this law will work to deter women from using and it could have the opposite effect on the population who would like help to quit.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:52 AM
4 moms liked this

GOOD

And IF the baby has drugs in its system when the child is born ...I hope the child is removed and the moms parental rights taken away.....smdh

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:53 AM
That is a good point. I like the idea but I don't think the charges make sense. Sadly it probably won't change easily because the majority of arrests will be poor drug addicts who don't have the sense or money to fight the charges.

Quoting booaura: Still ridiculous. It wasn't born when the damage happened.

Quoting Anonymous: In the article it explains the child must be born addicted or have been injured by the use.

gradysmom2006
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:54 AM
It's no longer a fetus once it's a newborn. And maternal drug use is always investigated. Maybe legal charges aren't brought, but most certainly cps is involved. This isn't new.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM
Definitely for it! I know a kid whose mom totally screwed up his life before he was even born. She was addicted to all sorts of drugs and drank alcohol her entire pregnancy! Her son has learning disabilities, anger management issues, and he's 15 but is mentally only 8. His mom tested positive for cocaine and pot when she was admitted to the hospital to have him. She was also drunk. She gave him up for adoption to a friend of mine when he was 8 months old. Best decision she ever made! She said she loved getting high and drunk and the baby was too much "trouble" for her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I am pro choice and I disagree.
Once someone decides to continue the pregnancy it is their responsibility to ensure the safety of the fetus.
Doing meth while pregnant isn't fair to the fetus. Especially when that fetus will be born and becomes a child. It is setting him/her up for future disabilities, addiction at birth and a slew of other medical issues.

Quoting booaura: Still ridiculous. It wasn't born when the damage happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)