Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH brothers family (of 8) always want to stay at our house when they come into town

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

They live 4 hours away and when they come and visit his mom/us then they always expect to stay in our 1200 square foot house- that is already home to our family of 6. His mother has a house with 2 bedrooms and a pull out couch and she lives there alone- but she does not run her air conditioner. So when they come into town then they want to stay with us. They have plenty of money to even get a hotel room if they don't want to stay with his mom. We just don't have the room or food for that many people. If we were to visit them- in their huge 6 bedroom/ 4 bathroom/  bonus rooms, etc- we would still get a hotel. I wouldn't want to impose our family of 6 on them so I guess I would just expect the same from them. Especially since we live paycheck to paycheck (slowly changing this) and do not have the room to comfortably accommodate them. I have went to the grocery (to last a week) and by the time they leave - I am left with tons of laundry and no food for our family for the remainder of the week.

Am I being unreasonable?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
How often do they do this? If it's like once a year, you should suck it up, but if it's all the time, they're really imposing on you and your hospitality.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like you should cut the issue down the middle. Let them stay but ask that they help with the food bill.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
I would let them stay but I would expect them to chip in on food. No way would I let them eat me out of house and home and not fork over a dime
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

No I think that best way to handle it is to let them know ahead of time that you just cant host them. Be honest and say its just too much. That you feel bad you cant but look forward to seeing them while they are there.

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
No not at all. If you don't have the money or room then tell them that. Say it gets to be too much so no offense but you can't stay here this time. We are low on cash and can't afford to have visitors at the time.
If they are decent human beings then they should understand.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I have no issue with family staying with us. Yes, we don't have a spare bedroom. They are always willing to sleep on the floors or blow up beds.

Whoever has stayed with us has helped out with grocery's. Even though we tell them they don't have to.

So I guess I feel differently about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM

At least once every other month

Quoting Danesmommy1: How often do they do this? If it's like once a year, you should suck it up, but if it's all the time, they're really imposing on you and your hospitality.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

If they offered to help with food- the space wouldn't even be that big of deal. I just don't understand that if you have plenty of money to get a hotel then why they wouldn't want to do that. The last time they were in (just a small example)- I hid the last 3 cans of Sprite and the kids got them and left each one half full when they left. Our kids never get into the frig unless they ask. I would never stand for them rummaging through someone else's stuff.

Quoting Raeann11:

I have no issue with family staying with us. Yes, we don't have a spare bedroom. They are always willing to sleep on the floors or blow up beds.

Whoever has stayed with us has helped out with grocery's. Even though we tell them they don't have to.

So I guess I feel differently about it.

kmeow
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM

You're not being unreasonable. I'm 41 weeks pregnant and my whole family (of 5) has let me know they're coming to visit Saturday and will be staying with us for a week. I feel your pain. I am letting it happen, but I told my mom point blank that it is too much of a burden to feed them all for a week, and she was super understanding. Maybe just try to be honest with them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I don't think you are being unreasonable, they should pitch in for something...at least i would if someone let me stay at there house. (Especially with a big family like that)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)