Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SAHMs: What's the most annoying thing you get asked?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:37 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, today, went to the Social Security office to update my SS card since getting married. Yeah, I sort of procrastinated that a bit. Well, as I'm lugging my 7month old, 21 pound, 32 inches long kid in his car seat at 8 Freaking AM in the midst of this metaphorical pig sty of people, the security asshole (yes, yes he was) has the testicular fortitude to make the comment "Wow, you look exhausted!!" Really, dickhead? I'm thinking, "Yeah, but my exhausted ass works out 6 days a week, while juggling a baby, a dog, renovating our home, the daily chores, online college coursework whereas you sit on your ass all day behind a desk and I spy a Krispy Kreme box behind you!" The things I really wish I could say sometimes....so as I was sitting there in the waiting room, baby's asleep, I start pondering all the crap people ask me.

What do you DO all day?

I bet you're up to date on all the TV shows!

Why do you look so tired?

How do you stay in shape? You never go anywhere?

Are you gonna get done with school? 

When are you gonna have more?

Does your DH want you to go back to work?

Why does your husband work and you don't?

Why not put that kid in a daycare, quit school and get a job?

Seriously, I have heard the most absurd shit lately and it bugs the absolute shat out of me. For starters, when I get done with school, I'll be making more than my husband and we plan on reversing roles. I'm the one remodelling the house while my DH works. We figured in the cost of daycare, and it's ridiculous. I look exhausted because my kid has two teeth popped in just the other day and he's not happy about it.....at random times say 3am! It's so funny how people think they can get comfortable to ask this kind of stuff. I forgot to wear my wedding ring to the SS office and this lady sneezing and coughing all over herself asks me "Where's the child's father?" Not realizing, I said, "At work." She replies with "good thing too, all baby daddies should be financially responsible for their babies!" *throws papers in the air*

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lacyleanne
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:44 AM

I get the "What do you DO all day" questions from my husbands side of the family. It's really annoying. My side of the family is so supportive. I told my older brother I applied for medical job and he was like, "Why?" lol My son starts school in the fall and I want to go back to work. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:59 AM

I get asked why I'm not back at work yet considering my youngest are in school. Um, because we can afford to?

momasaurus420
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:01 AM
"what do you do for fun?"

... ... ...uhm.
Then is when I realize I have no life! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Nothing.  I have never had anyone in my real life question me about being a stay at home mom.  

hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:06 AM

My mil is a gem, she says to everyone she can why I am there "all she does all day long is facebook!" I have a facebook app so yes I know when I get a message and sometimes I take a five minute break and come on here or there but I don't stay on it all day. Oh she annoys the hell out of me. We are going camping with them next month and I told my husband we are bringing a bunch of alcohol. He asks why and I say "otherwise I will lose it!" 

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Mostly, being asked to run errands here or there, or to pick up children from school. Babysitting as well.
I guess they think I have all this extra time on my hands, and gas money as well since I stay at home.

I don't mind helping friends and famiky now and then, but it has gotten out of hand before.
KandC1115
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:10 AM

I hate when I am running around paying bills and shopping and someone says "Don't you work?" What do you think I'm doing now?? They always want to know if I'm ever going back to work. And, as if it's any of their business,they assume my husband makes a ton of money so we can afford for me to stay at home (trust me, we struggle). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:12 AM
The worst is from DH when we are both tired but he questions why I'm so tired. The other is asking when I'm going back to work or just the general question do I work and why.
skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:16 AM
I used to say," Whatever I want. "
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:32 AM
"You have plenty of time on your hands." - husband
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)