Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your 10 year old?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
I'm going to the fair today. This is the first year that my 10 year old dd is getting a bracelet to ride the rides as much as she wants. Usually we just go for the shows and exhibits. This isn't a small town fair but it's also not a huge state fair. It's a bit in between. My dd wants to walk around by herself and just check in with us at certain times. She has a phone. I was thinking more along the lines of asking my 16 year old niece to come with us and I'll pay her way and get her a bracelet and they can walk around together. Dh thinks that I'm being over protective and dd is old enough to walk around alone. I'm going to ask my niece to come anyway but I'm just curious as to what you ladies think?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this

going alone? Oh hell no... Going with a friend or two for two hours, sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I'd have niece walk around with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope. Too many weirdos at fairs. My son is 11 years old. We would not allow him to walk around by himself at a fair at his age.
casah4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I've allowed my 10 year old to walk around the zoo by herself. She has a cell phone. Everything was fine but I was a wreck the entire time.  I'm a bit over protective.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM

To young for me too. I would ask the niece if she wanted to.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I would not let my 10 year old walk around alone at the fair.

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

That isn't overprotective. She's 10. I think the idea about inviting your neice is a good one.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I think my oldest was 12-13 when I allowed him to walk around by himself at the fair. I would imagine all kinds of horrible scenarios if I let a 10 yo do it. I'm a worry wart.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I'll be at the fair also but I have a 2 and a 3 year old. My 10 year old doesn't want to be stuck going on baby rides and watching baby shows (like the clown) all day. So she asked to walk around all day alone. I was like nope. That's why I'm going to bribe my 16 year old niece. She wanted to go but didn't have the extra money. I'll pay for her so She'll walk around and go on rides with dd and still check in with me.

Quoting thetrollcat:

going alone? Oh hell no... Going with a friend or two for two hours, sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Uh I have a 10 year old DD and that would be a hell no from me, her father and grandparents! !! Not safe at all
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN