Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are teen babysitters even worth that much? (Spin off of my post from last night)

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 38 Replies
A commenter in my post last night said her teens would charge $20 an hour to watch 2 sleeping toddlers for an hour.

My question is is a teen babysitter really worth the amount per hour that a daycare that has training and schooling charges per day?
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Bump
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM
I haven't paid a baby sitter in years, but that sounds steep to me.

Bump because I'm curious now.
MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM
The lady tried to tell me because her teens feel they have more important things then they should get $20 an hour.

I pay that per day at the daycare my kids go to.

Quoting almondpigeon: I haven't paid a baby sitter in years, but that sounds steep to me.

Bump because I'm curious now.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM
No they are not. I was a teen babysitter once. I put the kids to bed an hour after mom and dad left, and watched TV. lol
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I would pay them $20 just for the bother of showing up for an hour.  If it were a 5 hour night, I wouldn't pay that much per hour though.  I own a cleaning business, and no matter how small the job is, my minimal amount is $50.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the time to be there in the first place.  I guess it's sort of the same thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Daycares dont charger near that much here. Lol.

And no thats rediculous. You could find a teen that would be just as good at the job for way less.

I was trained and certified at 15. I worked in a daycare and babysat. I didn't ever think of charging that much. People would have just laughed.
morgiefae
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I wouldn't pay that. daycare charges 2.50 per kid/per hour. and i don't have a life outside of work.... LOL  I say that, but if i'm doing something my kids are with me.

MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM
The kid I asked lived next door. He pretty much just walked the 10 ft from his front door to my door lol

Quoting 3JuJu3:

I would pay them $20 just for the bother of showing up for an hour.  If it were a 5 hour night, I wouldn't pay that much per hour though.  I own a cleaning business, and no matter how small the job is, my minimal amount is $50.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the time to be there in the first place.  I guess it's sort of the same thing.

MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Jul. 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM
My kids were asleep and dh and I wanted to slip away for a walk to enjoy the beautiful evening.

Quoting morgiefae:

I wouldn't pay that. daycare charges 2.50 per kid/per hour. and i don't have a life outside of work.... LOL  I say that, but if i'm doing something my kids are with me.

chicagoliz
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Holy crap!  $20 for 2 sleeping kids for an hour?  No way.  I pay about $10 an hour, and I think that's a lot.  That's more than the kids would make working at the mall, and they don't have any taxes taken out.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)