Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are polygamists committing adultery?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

on Sister wives, they mentioned that the bible never condemns polygamy, however, isn't adultery condemned? I am a Christian, but I am also fairly new to the faith, so I am no expert. Isn't it supposed to be one man, and one woman?

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KykysMomma1128
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM
I am no expert. But I would say no. In their believe it's okay. They are each committed to one another. Now if one of the wife's or him was to step out and sleep with someone not in that committed relationship, then that would be adultery.
blinx
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes sense

Quoting KykysMomma1128: I am no expert. But I would say no. In their believe it's okay. They are each committed to one another. Now if one of the wife's or him was to step out and sleep with someone not in that committed relationship, then that would be adultery.

Fulltimemommy12
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM
No. They are all joined in marriage so adultery is when you have relations outside of marriage.
KykysMomma1128
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Btw I love that show. My cable provider stopped providing it and I've not seen it in two years.

Quoting blinx:

That makes sense

Quoting KykysMomma1128: I am no expert. But I would say no. In their believe it's okay. They are each committed to one another. Now if one of the wife's or him was to step out and sleep with someone not in that committed relationship, then that would be adultery.

Freela
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I think adultery is in the eye of the beholder... clearly, they do not see the sister wives as cheating, just as someone in an open relationship does not see that as cheating.  To me, adultery would imply some kind of deception.

As for the Bible, there were plenty of polygamists in Biblical times... it isn't something new.  King Solomon had an entire harem!

CookiMakinMomma
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Well, technically they aren't. They said on the show that he's actually only legally married to Meri, the first wife.

Meri is the only one not commiting adultery because she sleeps with the man she's legally married to, but they don't see it that way. It's their lives though, so whatever.

Quoting Fulltimemommy12: No. They are all joined in marriage so adultery is when you have relations outside of marriage.

bakingbaseballtoddler girlttc

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM

The bible did not see plural marriage, so long as the woman had never been married before, or was widowed, as adulterous. However, Kody IS commiting adultery with his shiny new toy Robin. She was married before, got a divorce, and her ex is still living. Which is, in the eyes of the bible, adultery. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM

But that is the legal sense. They have had a church ceremony for each of the marriages, so they are covered in the celestial realm. In the eyes of their church, they are all married and bound to each other.

Quoting CookiMakinMomma:

Well, technically they aren't. They said on the show that he's actually only legally married to Meri, the first wife.

Meri is the only one not commiting adultery because she sleeps with the man she's legally married to, but they don't see it that way. It's their lives though, so whatever.

Quoting Fulltimemommy12: No. They are all joined in marriage so adultery is when you have relations outside of marriage.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Creepy Kody is commuting adultery because Robin is divorced not widowed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Yes it is adultery. The bible does say that one man and one woman should join. Polygamy was done in the old testament but every time it caused problems. This was not how God designed marriage. God ordained marriage between one man and one woman anything else is a sin. Once the man takes a second wife he is committing adultery.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN